Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 511 Restoration and Questions

Hey guys,  my parts have arrived.

The final part of the electrical restoration has arrived.  Since the new dry caps are quite large and will be taking up a lot of room, I have decided to re-stuff the filter condenser can.  Just now, I was able to rid the can of it's old filter caps.  Plenty of tar in this one!  My method, if any of you were wondering:  I first gently pulled off the can lid were all the solder connections were.  Next I cut each wire to separate the can from its lid.  With the lid off I was able to take a cork screw, attach it to the filter block and pull it out as one piece after heating up the can to soften the tar within.  This process did take about 15 to 20 minutes.  It works well for me though.

In the 3rd picture you will see my replacement caps.  All these caps are rated to at least 600V.  Values are close but not exact.  You will see the actual MFD values that will be used, on picture 3. 

The schematic calls for values MFD as:  0.4mfd    4.0mfd    2mfd       1mfd          2mfd        .015mfd

My values:  0.5mfd    5.0mfd    2.5mfd    1.25mfd      2.5mfd     .015mfd

Will this work?

Also I take lug number 5 as being a true ground?  I am having a troubled time trying to figure out how to wire up each cap to it's lug.  For example:  Would lug 6 and 8 be connected together (one side of .015 on lug 8 and the other side of the cap on lug 6?)

Attached Files Image(s)

"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Philco281989 - 09-23-2015, 05:04 PM
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM