Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 511 Restoration and Questions

Hey guys,

I finally finished the main filter block.  I followed the wiring diagram to a "T".  Here is a picture of the end result.  Everything was tested and double checked, a successful repair!  If you look on the can within this picture you will see that I essentially wrote with a grease pen that the can was "Re-Stuffed"  for any "future radio restorers".  I was able to just snap the lid with all the parts attached, to the rest of the can.  Friction held it on originally, and I was able to replicate a very similar process without damaging the can itself.

Next I hooked up a fully restored Heathkit T-2 Signal tracer (with universal output trans to use as a test speaker) to the speaker jacks correctly via the Heathkit owners manual (no output trans on this receiver it's self).  The original speaker is missing from this set and I do not have another magnetic speaker on hand.  I turned on the set first with a dim bulb.  Power trans has no shorts, bulb lit and dimmed very nicely.  Next I powered the set up at 110VAC via a variac.  All the tubes lit including the pilot lamp, but no sound despite the variable condenser and knobs manipulated every which way.  I have a 70 ft outside antenna connected properly.  No ground connected though.

I next tested what voltages I could on each of the tubes, they seem normal, results below.  I tested all three chokes, results not recorded, but all tested around 200 OHM, I would say they are good.  I also tested 1st and 2nd AF trans, results below.  No opens, but the secondary on the 1st AF (one side to ground, other to the grid of the 26 tube) read 1.41 MEG OHM while all other primary/secondary readings on the AF transformers read in the thousands.

I am thinking the secondary on the 1st AF trans is open due to this 1.41 MEG OHM reading, thus causing no sound out of the receiver.  I am only a novice at this stuff and it took me this last week with the help of books/reading and several friends to figure this out.  What do you guys think????

Thanks

Attached Files Image(s)

"A Minute of Care is Worth an Hour of Repair" circa 1930.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Philco281989 - 10-08-2015, 11:58 AM
RE: Philco 511 Restoration and Questions - by Jimmy Radionut - 07-14-2017, 11:46 AM