Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Like a bad rash, 41-280-somethings keep coming

I don't much need or want this one, but it would come with a bedroom set I DO like and DO want, and I imagine it doesn't add substantially to the overall cost. 

Pluses: cabinet is sound, no veneer issues aside from the scratches and scuffs you see here, absolutely rust-free chassis with full tube complement, no cracks or holes in the speaker. 

Minuses: it's a Philco 41-280-something (41-285, I believe), all of the plastic is either gone or mostly gone, it will take a toll on my patience replacing all the crumbling insulation.

Other than that, I haven't even tested the transformer primary, so I really have no idea. Is there a universe where this might be worth the $20 it will be costing me as part of the bundle (that's if I divide all the pieces equally into the total)?
What do you think?

Charlie in San Antonio

Sometimes you buy the "lot" and get more than you want.
Take one for the team. It usually works out. Parts is parts.
I bought a couple consoles and was offered a couple panel meters I didn't want or need.
I would have felt a bit guilty for not accepting the meters. They happened to be NIB current meters that I spent an extra 10 dollars on. I sold them on ebay for $25 each. The seller was happy to find someone who would use them.

That's the case this time. It's kind of strange to find two of these 41-280 style radios came so close together with a similar story for both. These folks want the radio to go to "someone who will take care of them." I almost want to fix them up and give them back, but they want to get rid of them for a reason.

Charlie in San Antonio

AW, your right Charlie, most owners have no real attachment to these radios. It's a shame.
Jerry

A friend in need is a pest!  Bill Slee ca 1970.

It's actually a 41-285, so it has nine tubes rather then eight tubes like a 41-280. http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1941a.htm#af Yes, the plastic parts are broken or missing, but even if they were still there they usually arrive all warped and crumbling on those sets anyhow. According to the gallery there were only 30,422 41-285s made, verses 81,561 41-280s, not rare but they are not nearly as common. I also like the cabinet style, if I had a chance to get one I could probably make room for one, especially for $20
Regards
Arran

Good information, Arran. I agree the cabinet is nice compared to the 41-280 I have. That one had major veneer issues on its sides. I guess that makes deciding which one to keep an easier task. Besides, I have experience with the 41 chassis, now. Hopefully, it has no major component issues. It looks like it was put away because of disuse rather than because it was broken, but you never know until you pull the chassis.

Charlie in San Antonio