Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got a Philco 50-1724

Hi Rocco and welcome!
>First, the wires are brittle, with a lot of exposed wiring on the power, so I don't even know if it works. Can I replace wiring without ruining any potential worth it may have?

>Also, you can see in the pictures, the front is beautiful. Rough, but I can see true beauty potential. When restoring one of these, would I sand it down, and stain it? The top veneer needs replaced of course.

I think any value to a collector will be diminished do to the condition of the cabinet. With the significant amount of repair and refinishing work it needs. Some of these sets use a wood looking decal over an inexpensive light wood (photofinish) It's very difficult to reproduce the same wood look after the decal is gone.
A lot of us like restoring old sets starting off with really bad off and making something useable out of it. Is it worth much? That's the $64 question. If it is unusual or has a low production maybe. Don't think your set falls in to this catagory.
It was a fairly expensive set for 1950 at $279.

My general advise is if you like it gohead but I would expect to make any green in the process,just your our satisfaction. Some of us like chasing electrons, others enjoy the woodwork/refinishing and some are good at both.

Terry

Messages In This Thread
Got a Philco 50-1724 - by Rocco81b - 09-16-2015, 09:47 PM
RE: Got a Philco 50-1724 - by Radioroslyn - 09-17-2015, 09:29 AM
RE: Got a Philco 50-1724 - by klondike98 - 09-17-2015, 10:22 AM