Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing...

Hi Guys,

I followed Ken's directions to the T.  Besides I have done vintage auto restos for a living the past 20 years and have done more vintage cloth headliners and reupholster jobs then I can count, so it's not my first dog show with this kinda thing.  We buy 3M 77 by the case from B&W paint here in Toledo if that says anything. 

The material looks GREAT and is tight as a drum and the buzzing or rattling is definitely NOT the speaker board or the cabinet alone but the material buzzing or vibrating against it.

A couple more points.
-I had been running the unit for a week or so with the old grill cloth and ZERO problems like this.
-I pulled the speaker out and played it loose from the cabinet and ZERO buzzes or rattles from the speaker.  No voice coil rub nothing.  The speaker is mint mint mint too.
-mounted the speaker minus the grill cloth and it works beautifully no buzz of noise.

As I mentioned this cloth is almost impermeable to air blowing through it.  That is obvious just comparing it to the original which is very porous and thin.  Trying to blow through the new cloth is almost impossible.  What I think is happening is there is such an air tight seal between the speaker-board-cabinet and now this new material there is no vent (or very little) for the air pressure caused by the speaker moving in and out to go.  You can see the facbric bouncing in and out just like a speaker cone...I have never seen anything like it! LOL  I even showed my wife and she was shocked.  I am actually somewhat worried it could cause damage the original speaker.

I am going to try a couple things this evening.  One lifting the speaker off the mount board with some small spacers to see if giving the speaker a vent fixes the issue.  If it does I will go from there and either find a different fabric or use my old original.

One question to the poster above, what model did you use this fabric on?   Was it the small herringbone or just some of Ken's materials.  Reason I ask is the model I used it on (Philco 80) has an extremely small area between the speaker and the material.  Maybe a radio with a much larger air space in front of the speaker is more forgiving.

I am 99% sure this issue is do to the material being too dense to allow proper air flow from the speaker moving in and out but need to verify that and then figure out what to do about it.

T

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing... - by bastardbus - 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM