Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing...

Warren, yes it is obvious the paper won't let air through. I used paper as an exaggerated example of what the cloth is doing as an experiment. If you go back and read my threads I think I stated that I actually left an air opening around the paper (not sealed completely) and it buzzed like a mother. There is no way to really show you how dense the material is via a picture online but it is VERY dense and does NOT allow hardly any air movement through it, unlike the original material which is very porous and almost transparent and designed for maximum air flow. My point was this new material is almost as impermeable as a sheet of paper and indeed both have similar results.

Gluing the entire cloth down now is out of the question without ruining it. I have mimicked gluing the entire cloth down by securing the loose areas with my hands and even a cut piece of cardboard with a circle in the center for the speaker opening to secure the material and I found there is still noise. I am now thinking the noise is not be from the material buzzing against the baffle or cabinet itself but something else. I am wondering if this new material is causing back pressure against and creating resonance in the speaker cone and possibly issues or misalignment of the voice coil and causing voice coil rub, the sound is very similar to that. But again without material covering the speaker, even at FULL Volume and strong signal, the speaker sounds A-1 but the moment you put something that severely restricts air flow over the speaker you get the buzzing. Again still an issue caused by the new material and only remedied by replacing it with a more acoustically friendly speaker cloth.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Reproduction Speaker Grill Cloth Buzzing... - by bastardbus - 10-05-2015, 02:35 PM