Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

40-180 mica capacitors

Greetings,
I have replaced the electrolytic and paper capacitors in my 40-180, but have now found that one of the 370 pf silver mica caps is shorted out. Because I have to order replacements for the two silver mica caps, I decided to replace the easy to reach mica caps as well. The problem is that the color code on all these caps does not seem to agree with the values given in the schematics.
For instance, parts 6 and 22 are listed as 250 mmfd, but the three colored dots are green orange green. Part 45 is listed as 110 mmfd, and it's three dots are orange yellow orange. Am I missing something in trying to determine the value of these caps? They all appear to be original components.

Tnx, Robert Hanley KA1DXR

The color dots on the old Philco mica caps don't necessarily indicate value. They are related to a part 'type'. I haven't checked recently but there's probably a chart on Chuck or Ron's website.

GL,
Bill

I had similar questions in the 40-150 I recapped and rewired last summer. I think the micas in my radio were mostly type 6 and one or two type 4 (on the band switch) as listed on Chuck's site here:

http://www.philcorepairbench.com/micacap.htm

It would be a good idea to check the production changes to see if the values were changed at any time. If not, I'd replace them with the value on the schematic.

John Honeycutt