Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 60 Toner Colors?

In looking at the various toner colors available for refinishing my Model 60 has me confused. So many of the browns look alike, I'm not sure which ones to use. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Harv

Hi Harv,

Here is one I did recently.
[Image: http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q136/...resto2.jpg]

I masked the cabinet and used Mohawk Van Dyke Brown on the dark accent panels on the front. Once that was completed, I removed the tape and sprayed the entire cabinet (yes, even the darker toned panels) with Mohawk Medium Brown Walnut. Then of course, you need to spray as many coats of clear lacquer as needed to suit your taste.

Ed

I am working on the same model 60 cabinet and need to spray it - but am confused after reading this post. I'm sure it's simply from my inexperience. In the post it says the dark sections on the front are Van Dyke Brown and the rest Medium Brown. But, it appears the entire cabinet appears in the darker shade. Are the lighter panels on the front Medium and the rest Van Dyke?

Also, I thought I read in another post to use Extra Dark Walnut for the dark panels.

Any guidance would be appreciated - what colors should be used on which parts. Thanks in advance!

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Ed has given you good advice, and you should follow it. If your entire cabinet is dark, it is only due to age and dirt; the original coloring of this version of Model 60 looks much like the photo Ed posted above.

For very dark areas of a Philco cabinet, the difference between Extra Dark Walnut and Van Dyke Brown is that Extra Dark Walnut has more of a reddish tint, while Van Dyke Brown has a greenish tint under bright lighting. Some refinishers, myself included, prefer Extra Dark Walnut for that reason.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I appreciate it!

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."