Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Gojo question

For those who have done the Gojo clean-up on a cabinet, I've heard the pro's. Are there any con's? How long between the clean-up and waxing? Thanks!
Steve

I guess I need to clarify why I was asking. I haven't tried that method yet, but have a radio that I want to use the Gojo on. I just didn't want to make a mistake........

As long as you use the GoJo without the pumice in it there should not be a problem but as with most things you do for the first time work on a small area first to see how it reacts.

No cons from me. 

I have used it on many radios and it is amazing. I have also used it on photofinish and it works great. A lot of people ruin a radio doing this because they think it is coming clean but they are scrubbing too hard and removing the finish. Press lightly and I always use #0000 steel wool. It is fine enough that it will not hurt the finish. 

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

This is one of the best ones!

Attached Files Image(s)

As of 1/01/2021

Bob,
After Kirk's post with before and after pics, I think I'll proceed.

Kirk,
Thanks for the help!
Steve

kirk
that's amazing looks great Icon_clap Icon_clap
after you applied gojo  do you just keep wiping off with dry towel ?
or use hot water to wipe after the dry with towel

as a mechanic I use gojo even though it says you don't have to rinse hands I still do
seams to me has an oil base to it

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

It also works great on Bakelite. I start every clean up with Go-Jo and #0000 steel wool. It works great to remove stains and paint spots.

Eric
Lake in the Hills, IL
Member: Philco Phorum, ARF, ARCI & Radiomuseum.org

No water, just wipe with a clean paper or cotton towel.  I usually use a 4 x 4 gauze pad or small terry cotton cloth to apply. 

I haven't had any cons using it either.  It contains oils like lanolin to keep your hands soft so I usually let it dry a few days until the oils evaporate.

Like Sam, when using it on my hands I like to rinse whenever I'm near a convenient water source.

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

+1 no water.
Just let it dry out for a few days. Wipe it with a clean paper towel and see if you get anything. If the towel is clean then it is good to wax or display.

I also wash my hands after gojo if I can.

Me

As of 1/01/2021

Thanks for all the help guys! Lots of good info here for future users of the "Gojo Method". I'll do the cabinet this weekend and add my pics once it's dried out.

It's PEOPLE!!!

GoJo is made out of PEOPLE!!!!!!!!

You gotta tell them! They gotta know!! lol

As of 1/01/2021

Yep. But all them people do one H**l of a job cleaning my radio cabinets!

I have a possible CON for Gojo.

Had a small `30s era radio here, it had a dark finish to all of the piece except a small area around the speaker that was of a lighter color. While cleaning the cabinet with GoJo some of the old finish or possibly (dirt and grim) was picked up by the GoJo (as it should). The dirty GoJo almost acted like a stain to the lighter finished wood area around the speaker. I am guessing the wood-finish was dry and porous and the dark-used gojo bledinto-stained that lighter colored area.

Had I known the possibility of this happening I would have taken precautions...now too late. I tried everything to remove the staining in that area but no go. It doesn't look HORRIBLE but not as nice as it did before the GoJo job. It has lost that nice contrast in that two tone finish.

So be warned and be cautious, from now on I will be.

Todd