Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

U.S.Radio & Television Corp- Model 80

OK guys, Hope some one out there knows something about this company. Yesterday I purchased this radio that was listed as a Majestic, model unkown. There were no labels of any kind on the chassis, power supply or speaker. I have found many radios with the same tube lineup and the best match appears to be the U.S Radio & Television Model 80. It is listed in the Rider Vol I, Page 1-16. My main problem now is the schametic lists no values for the capacitors and resistors. Does anyone have any more info on this radio or do I now own a giant paper weight? Looking forward to any help.

Dave D

Hello Dave! Welcome! I have restored several Majestics before. Your set (Majestic mod 80) is known as a early "trf" set. I did some research in my JF Riders, and found that your set has the same tube "lineup", as the Majestic models 70 & 71B in the Grigsby-Grunow pages of JF Riders early schematics. You can also use Nostalgiaair dot org to find this schematic if you dont have it. Capacitor info for these early sets can also be found in your JF Riders pages covering "Majestic" radios in the "Grigsby Grunow" pages. They also made the Majestic Chassis for US Radio & Television. Riders vol 1 is "vague", but you can also use the Grigsby-Grunow pages to supplement your capacitors-ratings info!

Your Majestic mod 80 set uses (5) # 26 tubes in various stages of RF & 1st AF, (1) # 27 detector tube, (2) #71 push-pull output audio, & (1) # 80 rectifier tube, same as the Majestic models 70 & 70B.

Using the capacitors data from the "Grigsby-Grunow Company" JF Riders pages, instead of the JF Riders US Radio & Television pages, should most definately get you in the ballpark for caps ratings! These early TRF sets were "very- forgiving" for recaps!

As a general rule, the electrolytic filter caps in these early TRF type sets had a high voltage rating,but low UF ratings in most cases! I would say 10 ufs@ 500 volts would be more than plenty for replacements in the Majestic power-supply units.

If you have anymore questions or need further help, Im located only 3.5 hrs from you in San Angelo. I can get your radio working again, and/or, show you how & what parts are needed. Sometimes, the "chokes" and/or the filament trans 2.5 v are "open" (bad) in these type early trfs sets also. Easy fix tho if needed! Icon_wink

Hello Fellow Texan, I was very glad to see your response to my big old paperweight. I had a felling that another company was involved and I'm sure glad you knew who it was. The radio had nothing to identify the company except the escutcheon which was for a Majestic but is incorrect for the dial. The cabinet also looks like a late Philco 65. The interior of the cabinet had been modified for this chassis with two additional pieces of 2X4 and two new holes drilled.The tube lineup you listed is correct for my chassis but my Vol I of the JF Rider does not show the Majestic 70 having nine tubes nor could I find the same tube lineup in Nostalgiaair. Do you have another source that does show the Model 80 with nine tubes? Thanks again for all of your help. I'm sure I will have more questions before this old puppy is put to bed.

Hello again Dave! You bet, us fellow Texans are "no-scared" of tackling these early Majestic trf sets! They are fine receivers too, once electronically restored! I went back into my Riders Vol 1 pages, and found that the "Grigsby Grunow Co." page that covers your set is: page#1-1 of the Grigsby Grunow Co pages, Not to be confused with the: "majestic" pages in vol #1.Look for your actual "Grigsby Grunow Company" pages in vol #1, instead of the Majestic pages. The Riders vol 1 is all screwed up in most cases, but ol Mr JF Rider was just learnin how to print early schematics back then!Heres the nostalgiaair link/ schematic, that covers your chassis, I referred too in my previous post. Click below:

http://www.nostalgiaair.org/PagesByModel...040004.pdf

From looking at the schematic, this is a very simple chassis to re-cap. Where the tubes-sockets "plates pins" -to- chassis ground" originally used .5 mfd bypass condensers, use modern day .47/600v orange-drop bypass caps. I also noticed a orig .00025 uf cap,and several other bypass caps of various uf's which you can sub a modern 250 pf cap/ for the .00025.& others/conversions in uf/pf also. Just follow the schemat, and bring your set up slow with variac after recap, and check your voltages before installing the tubes again!( check your 2.5 v filament tube socket connections, and your High Voltage on the rectifier tube-socket connections. Be Careful!!Use a 1 amp fast-blo fuse on one side of your incoming ac line for safety before applying any ac current from variac. The radio shouldnt pull over 1,or 2 amps max when fully electronically restored.Keep a fuse inline to be safe on the pwr trans! Also, make sure your orig Spkr field-coil ( and all other coils,& trans are still good,check continuity and ohms of each part. If Spkr field is not good (many arent), you will need to sub a new 10 watt wirewound type power-resistor of close approx "ohms" rating, then if you do, you can add/use a modern type PM Spkr also if needed as replacement if you wish,and/ or, have your orig spkr field repaired, and remove your "subbed" spkr field resistor and rewire set to orig using orig spkr field.

( a little bout this Texan)
I lived in Dallas for over 12 yrs, Austin for over 13 yrs, and decided to move away from the "metro-mess" in my older yrs. I am a "retired" pro musician, that has worked with Tx BEST pro musicians for over 30 yrs in live touring/ pro studio recording. I learned vintage tube-repair to service my own amps while I was touring many yrs ago.I was trained in vintage radio repairs by a ol-timer USAF radio tech from WW2 for over 12 yrs now. Im still learning! Thats the BEST thing about this hobby indeed!

If you dont know already?, You have one of the very=Best U.S. Spkr recone facilities nearby you in Dallas! The Company is called "Freeman-Tuell Spkr Company". They are located off I-30, on eastside of Dallas downtown area, on Ferguson Rd. Those guys are "superb" on reconing vintage Spkrs indeed at very-reasonable prices! Ive been dealing with them over 35 yrs now for pro Spkr recones!

Best of luck on restoring your Majestic! If you need anymore assistance, I will be more than happy to help if I can!!Jus tryin to help!! Icon_wink