Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Heat from radio

I'm wondering if anyone has added a foil liner in the cabinet of their cathederal radio to keep the tube heat from reaching the cabinet? I find that the wood on the sides of my Philco 60 gets quite warm and am concerned about damage to the cabinet.

Harv

Don't worry about it.

The output and rectifier tubes get hot in operation; this is normal. If these tubes are near a cabinet side, naturally that side will get warm.

They operated like this when new, and no-one thought about shielding the cabinet interiors from the heat back then.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. I guess I was just concerned about further deteriation to the 70 year old cabinet. Thanks to you and others on this forum my radio is working. Just have to finish working with the Toner when the humidity decreases and I will have a great refurb'd radio.

Harv

Harv

I have stapled kitchen aluminum foil to the inside top of several radio cabinets. It does significantly reduce the temperature of the top and thus protects the lacquer finish. However, heat must go somewhere and the reflected infrared warms the chassis components. I use the foil when the old finish was obviously heat damaged to keep the new finish from the same fate. Radios with backs benefit most.

Kind regards,
Terry
http://home.comcast.net/~suptjud/
"Life is simpler when you plow around the stump."