Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Info needed on 1930 Concert Grand

Can any one please tell me if the record player on this model (1930 Concert Grand) is the same as fitted to any other model.
Is there anywhere that I can see any pictures of what the Phono/Gramm should look like. Also a picture of the speaker and what model number should be on it.
Many thanks, Tony

Hi

Are you lucky enough to own a Concert Grand? If so...congratulations! That is, in my opinion, one of Philco's finest pieces of furniture.

The phonograph mechanism is a single-play 78 rpm phonograph, and is the same as used in the smaller Model 296 radio-phono.

I think I have a complete mechanism here, but the shipping would be a killer (heavy).

I seem to recall that a Model G speaker was used in this model, as well as most of the 1930 Philco consoles (the exceptions being the battery and DC models, and the 20 Baby Grand Console). It's either a G or H; I think the H was used in 1931 models? Not positive right now. I can't remember every detail. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron
I hope you received my email.

Many thanks
Tony

Concert Grand
Can anyone please tell me where I can see a picture of the correct speaker for this Concert Grand machine.
As above Ron said he thought it was a model G speaker was this made by Philco and would it have a model number on it.
Many thanks
Tony

Concert Grand
I am totally new to this forum and really asking for help.
I have some old radios and this Philco is one I have always wanted to get going.

I have found a Philco model G 10 inch speaker that I can buy.
Can someone please tell me if this is defiantly the correct speaker for the concert Grand and was it a 10 inch speaker or maybe a 12 inch that they had.
Can any of you collectors that have one of these radios please help me with the correct information that I need.
I am in New Zealand so as you can imagine I don't want to buy a speaker from the States and then find out it is the incorrect model.
Many thanks
Tony

I just went downstairs and looked behind my Philco 96 highboy.

It uses a Type H speaker, not a Model G. Sorry for the confusion...that's what I get for going from memory.

While a Model G could be used, the speaker plug would have to be changed.

There is usually a decal on back of the speaker frame, in black lettering with a gold background, which reads in part:

PHILCO (this is the PHILCO with lightning bolt trademark)
MODEL H SPEAKER
(some other small type here)
PHILADELPHIA STORAGE BATTERY CO.

The speaker is 10-1/2 inches in diameter.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN