Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 81 Cabinet Restoration

I only got 1 response on this.  I'd appreciate other suggestions/feedback, if anyone has some.

Terry, you indicated to "just fix it", did you mean repair or replace the messed up areas?

Thanks, Bill

Sorry Bill,
I mostly hang up in the electronic side of things. Yes I meant to repair the missing layer of plywood (patch) and use some filler on the trim edges to remove the dings. Since you have it stripped and all it's a good time to do these repairs. How's the chassis, up and running??
I've got two of them 1 got over a Ktwn for $15. Spkr and grille cloth are bad but as kind member sent me a spkr for it. The other I got off that auction site to find when I got it the bandswitch had been replaced with a pot. May have been a WWII  SW disabled job as is does work on the bc band.

Terry
If life gives you melons you may be lisdexsic

I would replace the trim with new if you can get sme from Steve Davis.

Chassis is in pretty good shape. I went over the whole thing electronically several months ago changing out caps and resistors/tubes as necessary. Also did an alignment. It plays pretty well. Chassis could use some cleanup work from an appearance/cosmetic perspective, since there is some corrosion and such as is found on many of these old radios. I have mixed feelings about cleaning it up too much, since it is an old radio and I feel this takes away from some of its character. The speaker is ok electrically, but had to fix a crack in the cone. I used mod-podge glue and some fine paper. It worked pretty well.
Thanks for the response. Bill

I have finally gotten all of the Cabinet repairs done and am at the point where I am able to apply the toner.  I actually did the center part yesterday.  

Does anyone have any tips on how to tone/color the small sculpted areas next to the grille cloth?  In the pictures that I have seen, it appears to match the outer section (Perfect Brown Ultra Classic).  I was thinking of trying to do it with a small brush and some of the Perfect Brown toner.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

I've done them a couple of ways. I've taped them off and spray toned them the color I wanted after I had toned the face. I've painted them with Americana acrylic paint which dries flat but after you spray the clear gloss layers its gloss. And if I recall correctly...and that could be a stretch...I think Fred Taylor described spraying the edges the color you want before working on the face, then sanding the face which takes the tone off the face and leaving a clean edge. Then tone the front which will be lighter than the edge and the lighter tone doesn't affect the edge color. (I've not done that and can't locate the thread at the moment.)

Well I finally finished putting this radio back together, so I figured I would post some pictures.  I really appreciate the help and suggestions you all provided.  I am not totally happy with how the grain turned out, but all in all it looks a whole lot better than it did when it was painted green.

Bill

Nice job. Icon_thumbup  I've been unhappy with how the grain has turned out on some of my refinishes and usually just live with it. Again, nice job.

I think you did a very good job repairing the damage to the corners of the base. And the finish looks really good. Maybe you should work on the veneer lifting around the controls. But one thing stands out; where did you get that grill cloth?

Very nice!! 
Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup Icon_thumbup 

a reproduction of the original small herringbone style cloth is being sold by Kenneth Richmond

OK,,were did you get your NEW dial at,,,being it is Police band also…CHEERS

Both the grill cloth and dial are original. At least as I received it. Does the grill cloth not look correct? The dial does have some wear and a slight warp, but in general is in pretty good shape.

The 81 had a police band so I think that the dial might be correct. I don't know if its a reproduction or an original though...

The grill cloth is not original to the set. The original was a small herringbone pattern that can be seen (sort of) in this gallery photo: http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1933a.htm#h

Its now reproduced and sold by Kenneth Richmond as I mentioned earlier.

Bob is right. That cloth looks like it may have been original to a set of Bozak E-300 speakers (mid-late 1950s) or an old guitar amplifier, but is not correct for a Philco 81B.

Kenny's small herringbone pattern is a perfect replacement for the Philco 80B and 81B.

One more thing. You should remove those speaker screws and spray the heads with some Extra Dark Walnut. They were originally very dark brown.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN