Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-61 Knobs Question

I have looked at photos of 37-61 sets on ARF and Radio Museum. But I still cannot tell what color KNOBS it should have. My example came with BROWN knobs, even though the escutcheon is BLACK. Can anyone tell me what color the knobs SHOULD BE on this radio?

Another question on the knobs: I noticed in my stock of Philco knobs of this type (thin with knurled or grooved edge) I find ones with PLAIN front and others with a POINTER. Does anyone know what type of knob is correct for this radio? It has 3 such knobs: left (on-off and tone), center (band), and right (volume). Perhaps a mix?

Finally, what direction should the speaker transformer be oriented? Mine came with the transformer at 9:00, but I have seen other examples at 12:00 and even 6:00.

Thanks!

Quote:I have looked at photos of 37-61 sets on ARF and Radio Museum. But I still cannot tell what color KNOBS it should have. My example came with BROWN knobs, even though the escutcheon is BLACK. Can anyone tell me what color the knobs SHOULD BE on this radio?

Brown. Only the 1936 Philcos used black knobs in this pattern.

Quote:Another question on the knobs: I noticed in my stock of Philco knobs of this type (thin with knurled or grooved edge) I find ones with PLAIN front and others with a POINTER. Does anyone know what type of knob is correct for this radio? It has 3 such knobs: left (on-off and tone), center (band), and right (volume). Perhaps a mix?

All three should have a pointer. If your radio was a Model 37-60, it would have a single tuning knob (not the dual concentric type as on your 37-61), and it would not have a pointer.

Quote:Finally, what direction should the speaker transformer be oriented? Mine came with the transformer at 9:00, but I have seen other examples at 12:00 and even 6:00.

I don't think it really matters, as long as the audio output transformer does not physically interfere with anything such as the tuning condenser or dial lamp. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN