Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

RUINED!

I was perusing a shop yesterday and saw a philco 20 deluxe!
I was excited until I got up to it... The radio was SANDED down without a block and most of the veneer was missing from all the edges of the grillwork. Then he didnt grain fill or tone but slopped on poly....
Oh and he wanted $335.00 unrestored but "working"
I actually told the cashier lady that he ruined the radio and to tell him to stick to phonographs..

Ugh!

Attached Files Image(s)

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Yea thats a really high price for that condition. If you could get it for about 75.00 to a 100.00 probably worth it for the chassis and speaker if its good.

It is good for parts for 100 bucks......if all works.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

No more than $100.00, as a parts set now.  I went to the MARC vintage electronics expo this morning and picked up an unmolested 20 chassis, minus tubes and tube shield, for $20.00.  Should keep me in spare parts for my set.  Also picked up several tubes for the 20 and my 41-280.  Seller tested each one right at his table before he would sell them.  To top it off, I ran into a fellow I went to high school with 40 years ago!  All in all, a good morning.  Take care, Gary

"Don't pity the dead, pity the living, above all, those living without love."
Professor Albus Dumbledore
Gary - Westland Michigan

Nice GAry!

I only own one parts set. I would have many more but I always feel guilty and try to restore the cabinet instead of tossing it or using the veneer as a donor.

Me...

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Once found an old Philco cathedral (can't remember the model) at a flea market. Was missing all it's tubes, the front grillwork was broken, and the grill cloth was torn. Guy wanted $125! Should have offered him $1.25 to take it off his hands...