Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

42-380x chassis questions

This will be my first post since joining, and I wanted to start off by saying thanks to all on the phorum for the wealth of information you've provided.  I'm about to start recapping and replacing the rubber wire on a 42-380 chassis someone has already worked on before, and have a couple questions concerning the speaker wiring and one of the push button oscillator coils.

1) The speaker cabling is brittle and frayed and will also need to be replaced, but it has faded out to the point my semi-color blind eyes can't make out the original colors so that i can relate it back to the schematic. Does anyone happen to have pinout on the 4-pin female connector they can share?   I'd like to make sure I don't leave the next owner years from now scratching their head over my work.

2) The phenolic tube on the #1 push button oscillator coil is broken, but it’s all there and the wires are intact. Could the phenolic tube be glued/repaired, and if so, what method would y'all suggest?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions y’all have,

Attached Files Image(s)

Ron Banks
Fort Worth, TX

Hi Ron and welcome,
I can't quite tell what is broken but the general answer is yes. If the coil has a slug in it you may want to remove it just in case. Careful application of super glue should do the trick.
I don't see any notations in regards to the spkr plug. Just the wire color for the output transformer.

Terry

Thanks Terry!   I've worked phenolic back in my aircraft template making  days, but have managed to get through my life so far without ever having to glue it....it's good to know it can be done.

I've attached a better detail shot to show the break in the push button coil.  It's pretty clean, and there are no missing pieces.

I had the same problem with the lack of speaker detail in the schematic -- it only indicates white and green wires on the external side of the secondary coil of the output transformer, with no real detail from those wires to the speaker. I'm pretty sure that I can trace the wires back from the female plug to the chassis connections, but also hoped to use something close to the original colors for the 4 wires in the new cable.  

Thanks again,

Ron

Ron Banks
Fort Worth, TX