Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

My latest project.

This is my second day on the Phorum...
I have a 37-630 that I am working on.  I have managed to separate the RF section from the main chassis waiting on "Rubber Cushions" to arrive.  I would like to separate the speaker from the chassis.  Being that my wires are not color coded....faded yellow only, what does everyone else do to keep track of what wire goes where.  I thought about number labels on the wire and solder terminals in the junction box.  What else is acceptable?  I have recapped everything that was wax and paper.  The metal can caps on top of the chassis have been changed over the years and are very small units that are only able to be attached to the chassis with one screw.  Are these cans still available?  I have had the radio working and all bands sound good.  The shadow tuner works correct.  I have several old Philco's that I have been able to revive.  There is a difference between revive and restoration.  I have seen plenty of cobbled up radios trying to be sold as restored items.  I hope to meet some of the members on here in person.  Anybody live around Orange, Texas.

Benny/W5TYZ
Orange, Texas
The second mouse gets the cheese

Hi Benny. I just make myself a drawing and take pictues of the speaker connections with some temporary labels on the wires. I use the green frog tape I use in cabinet work to mask off areas and write on the tape. The capacitor cans come up on ebay from time to time. Try a "Wanted Ad" here in the Phorum as well.

I've been using these wire markers: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005GDFWQS

They stick well, don't tear, and come in a decent variety of colors. The only downside is they are kind of pricey - but FWIW one booklet lasted me about a year.

OK Bob...
That is essentially what I am doing now.  I have made my labels, drew a picture of the speaker connections with 1 thru 3 clockwise, and after lunch I will de-solder.  Can I just take the can caps if they are bad, gut them and just slip them over the existing cap to achieve the factory look? I have seen this done many years ago, but never tried it. Are NOS available, or old units to be re-stuffed?

Benny/W5TYZ
Orange, Texas

Welcome to the phorum Benny. I believe most guys here and I also, just cut open the cans and clean them out and put the new Ecaps inside and reseal them. I assume you have the old original cans. Maybe someone can add link to pics. of this being done. Good luck.

(01-21-2016, 03:38 PM)Mike Wrote:  Welcome to the phorum Benny. I believe most guys here and I also, just cut open the cans and clean them out and put the new Ecaps inside and reseal them. I assume you have the old original cans. Maybe someone can add link to pics. of this being done. Good luck.

Thanks Mike...
I do not have the old cans.  No telling when these c ans were replaced.  They are metal cans, but from what I've seen in a few on line pics, I'd guess they are less than a quarter physical size of the OE models.  They are so small that only one screw on the mounting flange will line up with the hole.  

Benny/W5TYZ
Orange, Texas

Well you might still go ahead and put a WTB on here as Klondike98 suggested, I don't think you will find NOS cans that would be any good due to there age. I believe you can get new multi cap cans that are costly. I don't know what size they come in.