Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Setchell-Carlson ID

I'm looking for some help in ID'ing a radio for a friend. It's a 5 tube portable, Tweed covered, broadcast and sw bands, slide rule tuning, three knobs on the front, looks like an ac/dc set with a removeable back that contains a loop antenna that can be mounted on the top of the set.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm just trying to narrow down my options. I'll try to have a photo posted soon.

Thanks,
John

Can you post a pic?

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Working on it, should be able to upload it tomorrow.

Here's the pic, any help would be appreciated.

John

WOW! Never seen a set like that. Doug Houston may be able to help. He's fairly well schooled in Stromberg-Carlson sets.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Ummmm....boy, that old guy has been through the wringer. It's SETCHELL-Carlson, Brian; not Stromberg, etc. They were a small outfit that made some interesting radios and Television sets. On their TV sets, the chassis was a frame, and had different parts of the set in chassis modules, bolted to the frame. It was really a nicely designed set, though not cost-effective, by a mile.

Now, back to the original question. This little puppy would have been either immediate prewar (II), or immediate postwar. If that's correct, it would possibly be in Rider. The later Rider books went into the fifties, and somewhat overlapped Sams.

Oh, BTW; that covering on the case is known as: "Airplane Luggage". That makes my guess favor prewar. Airplane luggage was not widely seen after the war, but was on a lot of stuff just before WW II. If a case (and even suitcases) was kept carefully, it can look very nice today. It is quite dated.

Thanks Doug, all the info I can gather is worthwhile.

Just thought I'd update the group, the radio in question is a model 55. Schematics were located so all is good there.

John