Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

philco 37-116,Resolved

Re-capping my 37-116 chassis.
Have all caps replaced other than the bakelite block.
That's next.
Noticed I had an intermittent problem with the radio cutting out.
Tracked it down to the wire that goes down to the tuning shaft.
Took the dials off and discovered that the small brass contacts that run from the contact on the back down to the shaft to the brass finger that comes along the shaft to the front were worn out and broken.
I assume they are part of the magnetic tuning(or whatever its called) system.
My solution to the problem was to cut the wire that feeds all these brass components.
I don't suppose there is anywhere that sells repro's of these contacts?
Otherwise the radio plays like a dream..
Found this chassis easier to work on than my 38-116.
murf

Hi Murf,
>I assume they are part of the magnetic tuning(or whatever its called) system.
You assume correctly its job is to mute the audio when you push the leaver on the dial so when the dial is spun you don't hear all of the passing stations till you get to the desired one and release the leaver.

>I don't suppose there is anywhere that sells repro's of these contacts.
Don't think so your the first I've heard of that has bad ones. All of the 1937-38 sets that have mag tuning should have those . Alas the last year for Philco's HIFI AM sets, '39 they went low hi and magic.

Glad to hear you got it up and running,they can be a bit of a dog to work on the sub chassis. I got my 1st one back in the '80s. Re capped it but didn't do much the the caps in the sub chassis played well for a few years. But one day it died. Just wouldn't pick up any thing. Did some troubleshooting to find that a cap way up in the sub chassis has gone south and killed the oscillator. After doing some soldering gymnastics I got it back in good working order. Those old paper jobs can come back to haunt you...

Terry