Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help Identify This Console Not in Book

[attachment=9574]         [attachment=9574]  Hi,
 Here is a Philco console I picked up on the Sunday. There are no labels or other identification. Of course the chassis has a stamping on the back. However I don't know the key to what the letters and numbers mean. It looks like a model 16 chassis.  These pictures are from the posting. Can anyone identify it for me?
                                      Thanks,
                                            Henry

Attached Files Image(s)

Looks like a version of 16 with a turntable.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Henry you might try looking up what models used the speaker you have in your radio. Can't tell for sure but looks like H12 or H13 is stamped on the back of speaker. Of course assuming it is correct speaker chassis combo for that cabinet.

The chassis is 16 I think.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

It looks like the guts of a Philco 500 (16 chassis with phono, 1935 model) installed in a custom third party cabinet. That is definitely not a Philco factory cabinet.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I purchased it from the son or grandson of the original owner. Also a couple of interesting stories. But he said the radio was always in the family.
  Hopefully I will be able to spend some time with it this weekend. Likely I will end up scrapping the cabinet it is too far gone for me. All the glue joints for the legs were dried out and I removed them when I unloaded it from the car. The sides are all rippled.
  Thanks for the comments guys.
  Ron,
  Is there a schematic for the numbers on the chassis?
                                                Thanks,
                                                       Henry

Got a little Majestic vibe going on with the speaker grillwork.

Mike

Cossor 3468
GE 417A
Philco 118H
Radiola 17/100
Scott 800B6
Silvertone 6130
Stromberg 535M
Truetone D1952

Henry

It is a 16, so use 16 sch.

I had not looked closely at the turntable but now I see it is a "changer" and plays 78s and 33s.
                                                    Henry

(03-02-2016, 06:52 PM)Mike Wrote:  Henry you might try looking up what models used the speaker you have in your radio. Can't tell for sure but looks like H12 or H13 is stamped on the back of speaker. Of course assuming it is correct speaker chassis combo for that cabinet.

Mike ,
 Good point I overlooked.
The speaker is H-13
 Thanks for the reminder.
                    Henry

FYI,
  Inside the cabinet curled up by the chassis was the label from the chassis. Model 16 code 121. I powered it up slowly(87 volts) using a metered variac and I was able to pick up a few stations .
 The cartridge on the tone arm is a Western Electric.
   This will go to the waiting line for now as I have a 16B tombstone to assess. The next thing to do is order info from Chuck.  Do I just need to supply him with model and code?
                                    Thanks,
                                          Henry