Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 42-395

HELP!!!! Don't know if I am in the right forum or not but..........
Does anyone know why I can not find anyone else that has the 42-395 Icon_confused: Icon_confused:
I know they made over 20,000 of them and find it hard to believe That I am
alone in ownership Icon_exclaim Icon_exclaim Any Icon_idea Icon_ideas

Although I have never owned one (only so much room for consoles), I've worked on a couple of these; and many examples are still out there in collections or in someone's basement, attic or barn. What do you need to know?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron....Really just wanted to know or maybe converse with someone who has one.
Have seen a lot of discussions on other Philcos...just have not found any on the 42-395
Of course, as you know, I am still searching for the bezel.

Love this site and going through some of the different "phorums."

Thanks again Icon_biggrin

It's a very good performer. Too bad it has that now-useless old FM band (42 to 50 mc).

As you know, no-one reproduces this escutcheon (some 1942 Philco radio-phonograph consoles use the same escutcheon).

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Just an amusing note: I had just gotten my radio back for some capacitors and resister work.
I was in the process of turning the radio around so I could do some fine tuning when SLAM WHAM AND BANG, it
fell face down on my tile floor. [forgot how top heavy it was] Icon_redface I vocalized a few phrases that I had acquired
during my ten years in the Marine Corps.....One of the push buttons flew off and a tube popped out. I stood it
back up...put the button back on....tube back in...turned it on and voila....it still worked! Icon_eek
Now..."For the rest of the story....." The speaker cone split from the frame in a 360. Made a few new tears and all but pulled
the fine speaker wires out. Icon_cry
After a couple hours of slow and diligent effort, along with LOTS of Elmer's and a few strips of coffee filter; waiting over night along with
nightmares Icon_razz I am pleased to mention that all is well and working. Icon_biggrin
As hard as the radio cabinet hit the floor there was no wood breakage. That is one tough radio. 8)
Not bad for something that's 66 years old. Icon_wink
Just wanted to share that near disaster. Icon_smile

Wow... Icon_eek ...a tile floor, and no damage to the radio or the tiles! Amazing.

So the shock of the fall effectively blew out the speaker cone? Good to hear you were able to repair it.

It could have been worse...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron Ramirez Wrote:Wow... Icon_eek ...a tile floor, and no damage to the radio or the tiles! Amazing.

So the shock of the fall effectively blew out the speaker cone? Good to hear you were able to repair it.

It could have been worse...
For real!!! Icon_eek I was lucky that the speaker cone blew in a clean circule.
But, for sure, it is working fine. I was fortunate not to have the bezel on at that time.
Had the bezel been attached....that would have finished it off.
Thanks for the response.

I purchaced a Philco 42-395 a coupple of years ago and unfortunately I have the same problem, The bezel is totaled. I was going to start restoring it this year unfortunately been busy fixing up the daughters house due to the massive flood back in june that hit Cedar Rapids. Back the the radio, the only idea I have came up with so far, is enlist a friend who is a master wood crafter and try to duplicate as close as possible a wood bezel. not origional however the only option I can find at this time, as the rest of the unit is too good to throw out. Wishfull thinking, but somebody down the road may start making them, if there is enough demand. Good luck with yours.
Regards Bart

I suppose it's a dumb statement, but is there a chance that Larry Bordonaro, in California makes that bezel? I assume it's plastic, like many of the '42 sets had. I'm sure that he has the one for the 42-355T, and bhe has done one or more models. He advertises in some of the radio antique mags (Antique Radio Monthly?). I have seen one of his bezels, and it's a knockout.

At first, I'd thought that the 42-395 was similar to the 42-400, but it's very different. I have a 42-400, and the bezel is metal. I'm junking a 42-1008, and that bezel is wood. They made them all sorts of ways.

crflash
Doug

Thanks for your input. After my "little accident," I decided to just let things be for a while. Did think about finding a Woodcarver but
that is almost a lost art. Besides I don't think my budget could handle it. Since I am a year older than the radio, I have some fond memories of
radio programs from the mid 40s through the early 50s. All in all...my unit is in very good condition and I enjoy listening to it every now and then.
The only problem I have is trying to find Fibber McGee and Molly and a few other old friends. Oh well.
Hope all had a Blessed Christmas and will have a most wonderful New Year.///Nick Icon_biggrin Icon_lol 8)

On the 10 button plate no one makes a reproduction, I am one who is somewhat lucky that my 42-1011 has a decent 10 button plate. I did inquire about a new one from Larry but he said the demand was low and the cost high for set up molds so that making reproductions was out of the question at this time.

49Stude63 Wrote:On the 10 button plate no one makes a reproduction, I am one who is somewhat lucky that my 42-1011 has a decent 10 button plate. I did inquire about a new one from Larry but he said the demand was low and the cost high for set up molds so that making reproductions was out of the question at this time.
Thanks for the info.
I wish to thank all who have been kind enough to respond. I was going to post a couple pics of my "395" but can not seem to find
how to do so. Thanks again and have a very Happy New year.///Nick Icon_biggrin

I use webshots and upload the photos there and then just add the link during one of your posts. The 395 is a nice radio, nice looking and well worth the effort to recap and align it to get it kicking again. You have to have a picture hosting site to use the "img" command anyway and webshots or some others are decent without being too intrusive. If you look at my webshots side you will see my 42-1011 (got it from Ron) and it is a nice, stylish console.

49Stude63 Wrote:I use webshots and upload the photos there and then just add the link during one of your posts. The 395 is a nice radio, nice looking and well worth the effort to recap and align it to get it kicking again. You have to have a picture hosting site to use the "img" command anyway and webshots or some others are decent without being too intrusive. If you look at my webshots side you will see my 42-1011 (got it from Ron) and it is a nice, stylish console.

Thanks but I have enough problems just remembering how to turn on my computer. Icon_razz When I start doing different things I
really mess things up.. I am the epitome of the fundamental principals of "Murphy's Law" Icon_redface
I do know how to send pics through my e-mail and will do so by request. The "395" is a nice radio and STRONG. After what I put through, I am amazed
it still works. the cabinet needs some minor work but I will not "fix" it up. I have used some products from "RadioDaze" to help recondition same.
So all things considered...The radio is 95% of new looking. And yes, your 42-1011 is nice and stylish....How does it play.///Nick

Anyone in the last couple of years or this year, 2012, for that matter talking about the 42-395s? Been off the site since 2008......Had to re-join......Was thinking about restoring the cabinet but decided to leave well enough alone.......Cabinet is in reasonably good condition........since I can't find where to go, I thought I would try here......Looking to find how many people have the 42-395s...... maybe want to BS a bit..///Nick Icon_lol