Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 71 - Decent performer?

I'm a bit excited after finally getting my first cathedral - a Philco 71. Got a tip about a local auction and this was the only radio in a sea of glassware and other knick knack type antiques, so I took a gamble thinking that not a lot of collectors would go for a chance at 1 radio. Gamble paid off - made a phone ahead maximum bid with the auctioneer and ended up getting it for $55. Picked it up today and hopefully this winter it will be one of my projects to work on. The cabinet is in not too bad shape and the chassis looks complete, even the rectifier tube is the large globe style. Just wanted some feedback from some of you who may have one as to it's performance, any repair tips/common issues with this set etc.

Hi Tony

Yes, Model 71 is a very good performer. Just watch out for its autodyne mixer circuit, based around a Type 36 tube. The oscillator coil, a vital part of this circuit, will most likely be bad. It should be baked in the oven (NOT the microwave!) for 30 minutes at 200 degrees Fahrenheit. This will eliminate the moisture is has probably absorbed over the decades. Then, if the outer winding is bad, rewind it. If it isn't bad, consider yourself lucky.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron - I noticed that PTOP had a 71 chassis listed and has a shadow meter installed whereas mine does not. Were there two different runs of this one? Aside from maybe a bezel change, are there a lot of circuit mods needed to incorporate the meter?

The Shadow Meter was an add-on kit available for the 71, I believe. I have some lit that shows this somewhere.

Chuck

I have the same sheet. Maybe I'll post it later if time allows.

As I recall, there were three different versions of Model 71:

Code 121/221: 550-1500 kc, no shadow meter. Large tube shield on side of chassis similar to Model 70 shield.
Code 123/223: 520-1500 kc, no shadow meter (although late production models may have the shadow meter). Large tube shield.
Code 126/226: 520-1500 kc, with shadow meter. Individual cylindrical tube shields around three "front end" tubes on side of chassis instead of one large shield.

Differences in Codes:

121, 123, 126: Single speaker (chiefly cathedral models).
221, 223, 226: Twin speaker console models.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks for the info. I just checked and mine is a code 121. I may just end up leaving it as be and hold out and find a set with a shadow meter incorporated. I know it's mainly for eye candy, but still interesting to watch in operation nonetheless.

One last general question - there are two small veneer chips on the edge of the face of the unit that I'd rather not mess with, and the sides could stand to be refinished. Since this is the only cathedral I have, I am toying with the idea of having the cabinet refinished by someone who knows what they're doing. I could check a few of the local refinishing places locally, but wondered if you had someone you would recommend, and generally how much does a professional refinish cost? Thanks!

We have a Phorum member who does refinishing, and I know another person who has refinished cabinets for myself and another Phorum member.

Here they are:

Michael Schwartzman - philco16 AT ptd DOT net
Barry Jones - mrtruetone AT aol DOT com

Replace "AT" with @ and "DOT" with . and eliminate the spaces to send e-mail to these gentlemen. I do not know how much they would charge you, but they can tell you that. Icon_smile

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you sir - emails have been sent Icon_smile