Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pacific 'Raleigh' 6-valve - a beautiful mongrel

And something else - the 7B1 schematic shows a permanent magnet speaker - which was rare for the time.  This set contains a very early Rola permanent magnet speaker that I thought had been retrofitted, but I now think it was there from the start and used to lower battery drain by not having to run up an electromagnetic field.  
[Image: http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff222...tmppsy.jpg]

I expect there was room for 7 valves on this chassis when the electrolytics are taken out - in fact one of them looks like it was mounted inside a valve shield base on the chassis.

Here is the schematic:
[Image: http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff222...usvoaf.png]

So now I need to decide if I put it back to the battery set I suspect it may have been from factory or do I build it as what most of them were - which will also be much more useful to me - a 6-valve mains set.  Its been bastardized at least once in its life, and the chassis is damaged in ways that might not be easily rectified, so my gut feeling is that while its nice to figure out its heritage, it will be a better set and in no way diminished by undoing the mess and converting it sympathetically and as correctly as possible.  And I'm pretty sure I have enough vintage RCNZ chassis parts laying about to achieve this.  Its certainly the way I'm leaning at present but I'm also very interested in the idea of a battery set.

Having said that, a thought just occured to me - I have a sneaky suspicion that I might have a 1935ish RCNZ battery set somewhere in a different brand (Courtenay).  I'll head out to my storage space later today and have a look-see... 

And in case this is all getting confusing - Radio Corp of NZ (no relation to RCA) produced chassis' that they sold to other companies for resale in their own cabinets (and also used in their own in-house brand - Columbus).  There were quite a few of them, but the three best known ones were Courtenay, Stella and Pacific... so the same chassis could be found in several difference brands and each could often have several different cabinet styles.  I find it makes life much easier working on any of these radios and I'm starting to get a feel for the RCNZ way of doing things.  I didn't much like them when I started, because they're not always easy to work on... but the more I do them the more I like them.

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pacific 'Raleigh' 6-valve - a beautiful mongrel - by kiwi_steve - 03-24-2016, 02:30 PM