Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Unidentified Philco?

Posted on behalf of Scott "Robbie" Roberts. Here's his comments:

I just brought home another Philco- this is number 5 on Philco's, number 8 on radios in need of repair...

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...ts_005.jpg]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...ts_008.jpg]

What is it? All the stickers are missing- this one has obviously been stored in an unhappy locale...

The stamped serial number is: P05708 It looks to be a two band chassis inside, and has an early style shadow meter...it has 8 tubes.

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...ts_009.jpg]]

[Image: http://www.philcoradio.com/images/phorum...ts_010.jpg]

I have no clue what it is- but guess what- I adopted it and wish to rehabilitate it... As usual. Got it for $75- got the seller down from $100. Tried to offer $50, but she wouldn't bite. I still feel it was worth it to save this neat looking one. Now I need a house with lots of rooms...

If you want to post this to the Philco Phorum with your reply, please feel free to do so.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

As Robbie wanted me to answer here in the Phorum, here's my answer:

That's a Model 118 chassis, mounted in an aftermarket (non-Philco) cabinet. In other words, one of those custom-made cabinets that you could buy back then for your set. Sure, it has the Philco V cloth, but the cabinet's design cues are nothing like Philco styling of the period; furthermore, this cabinet isn't listed in Philco Furniture History.

Is that an 8 inch speaker? Sort of looks like it. If so, this was originally a 118B chassis; the 118 consoles had an H series, 10-1/2" speaker.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Boy, that's a great looking radio! That cabinet reminds me of some Silvertone sets. Time to start on all those Bakelite capacitors...

Tim KA3JRT

The 118 is a great AM/SW set Scott, with an RF stage and push-pull 42s on the output. Has a Shadow Meter too.

Oh, and yes as you mentioned Tim,

...eleven bakelite block caps,

...three potted caps in the tone control,

...and a Partridge in a Pear Tree.

Icon_biggrin

Happy Philco!

Well, we know the chassis is a 118, now I am trying to figure out the exact case- Ron is pretty sure it is an aftermarket cabinet, but I wonder about the "Philco" decal(hard to see in these pics: I will try to post more) which is very clearly present. The darkness of the laquer hides some real nice woods- light and dark woods... I am intending to not only restore the chassis, but refinish this cabinet as well. It looks to be beautiful, and will eventually end up in the "parlor" of "the house"* The 37-650 may get the cabinet refinished as well- I just saw a picture of a beautiful job- Mine has a great original patina, but the difference is magnificent. 37-650 will be in the living room of "the house"

I am wondering if it may be some store specific cabinet, or just a unique Philco one for some reason. I have been trying to find old ads with consoles, but not much luck. Next step, after the holidays, might be a foray across the river to philadelphia, check out the Free Library's holdings in the "Philco" spectrum.(The Free Library of Philadelphia, founded by Benjamin Franklin, has some extensive holdings when it comes to local manufacturing companies.)

What vintage is a model 118 chassis?

Scott

*"The House" is the term my girlfriend and I use for our "perfect" house- we are both in apartments currently, but once my job starts paying out, I hope to find "The House" in South Jersey... We found a picture of one house which meets our exterior desires in "Money" magazine this month...lol S.

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?

Scott

Regarding the Philadelphia Free Library - been there, done that. Unless they were "holding out" on me, the only Philco stuff I could find there were some Annual Reports and other info from the 1950s.

You'll find a lot more at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, downtown, and at Temple University's Paley Library Urban Archives.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Addendum:

Model 118 is a 1935 model (introduced June 1934).

About your "perfect" house - What, ya don't wanna live in Da Victor? Icon_wink I've never been in South Joisey, but a trip through Camden was, ah, shall we say, enlightening. Mind you, a place we found southeast of Camden called the "Phily Diner" (sic) was really nice...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron- Thanks for the tip on the historical society... Definitely worth the visit, so I'll add it to the agenda...

As to "Joisey" Anything below roughly a line from Trenton due east to the ocean is South Jersey. Above that is"Central Jersey" which itself is pretty nice. North Jersey is the section generally regarded as "Joisey"- we think they kinda would rather be "New York City West" rather than part of our pretty state. (And we, the same...) Anyway, Camden doesn't really give a good picture of South Jersey- very depressed city since the population migrated away during race riots in the 60's. Hence the loss of such icons as Campbell's Soup's 3 water towers painted to look like soup cans, and the majority of the RCA-Victor plant, the remnants of which are now "The Victor". I'm in an apartment about 10 minutes from there, and have no wish to move into Camden. Might like to tour it sometime, but I doubt Enrico Caruso would recognize the place(among themany artists who recorded there over the years). "The House" is most likely to be found near farms, or small town, preferably with an airstrip next door...(My other love is flying, um, oh, yeah, and my girlfriend Donna...)

Once you get past Camden, it gets better- although pretty heavily suburbanized within 20 miles... If you are in the area again, drop me a note ahead of time! Right near Camden is "The Pub" a landmark for decades- and the things they can do with a steak, roast, pretty much any decent cut of meat! Hungry just thinking about it... I've never been to "Philly Diner" but Diners are really a South Jersey thing...lol Used to be tons of them, now down to hundreds...

Thanks for the dating on the chassis, as well- gives me an idea where to look for old ads. I'm still hoping to find something. Probably a one-of made for the governor, etc., etc.... lol...

Scott

Old Cars, Old Radios, Old Pipes and Young Women... What more is there?