Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 84 Volume Control / Antenna Transformer

I am working on a Philco Model 84. I did find the Cathode winding of the Oscillator Transformer open. I rewound that and now the oscillator is working.

When I put my finger or a long piece of wire on the grid cap of the Detector / Oscillator tube ( 77 ), I get stations very loudly. I have measured the volume control ( 1 ) which is slightly higher then 20,000 ohms. I have checked both the primary and secondary of the antenna transformer ( 2 ) and have continuity in both windings. However, when I touch the antenna clip or attach a long piece of wire on the antenna clip, I can not hear any stations at all.

All suggestions are welcome.

nv3g

I apologize. After further careful examination, it appears that the antenna transformer primary is open. Another coil rewinding job. I will carefully pursue it.

nv3g
Icon_cry

The Philco 84 Antenna transformer ( 10 ) primary winding was open. I rewound the primary winding and now another Philco radio is working again.

nv3g

Congratulations for finding and fixing the problem! Icon_smile Sorry I could not reply sooner...too many fingers in way too many pots at present.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN