Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Early Philco ID

Hi Everyone,

I've just picked up an early Philco lowboy console. I'm planning on restoring it for a friend. No markings on the chassis or inside the cabinet (probably sticker is long ago gone) to indicate the model. It's a lowboy console, 4 legs, 4 knobs, Clamshell shape cutouts for speaker grille. 8 Tube line up is 2 - UX245's, 1 - UY227, 1- UX280, and 4- UX226's. I'm thinking pre-1930 (1928-30). As I've just picked it up tonight I haven't taken any pictures as yet....will do hopefully this weekend and begin by removing the chassis and cleaning it up. I'll see where I am at that point. The chassis itself is very low profile..probably only standing about 2" off the base. Underside of chassis is cutout and has a metal shielding plate.

Would anyone out there have an idea of what model I might have here? I'll be looking for the schematic once I've determined what model this is.

Thanks for any input in advance,
Joe

Sounds just like a Model 87 lowboy.

http://www.philcoradio.com/gallery/1929b.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Pictures of the cabinet and maybe also the chassis are the only way we can pin-point your model.
Chuck

Chuck, he's already described a 1929 Philco lowboy perfectly..the clam-shell grille opening is a dead giveaway. Plus 8 tubes with Type 245 outputs...that can only be a Model 87.

Icon_mrgreen

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron and Chuck,
Thanks for your replies! I looked up the model 87 on Nostalgia, and the schematic looks like what I've got here. Guess I'll be tearing it apart and initial cleaning up this weekend. Any suggestions on this restoration? It looks very much like a couple of Radiola 18 and 17's i've done. Thanks again for your quick replies!

Joe