Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Toner choice

1. Can someone give me some suggestions as to color choice of toners for a model 640B tombstone? What shade is used to get the dark color for the shoulders that I see on pics that some post? Also, how about the front panel?

2. Can you suggest color for toner on a model 70 mohagany cabinet?
I realize this can be personal choice, but a few suggestions might help. I have downloaded the Mohawk color chart, but a lot of the shades do look alike.

3. Would I need to use grain filler for either or both of these cabinets?

Many thanks for any help.

1. Extra Dark Walnut for the top, sides and trim of Model 640B; Medium Walnut for the front panel.

2. Not sure about this one, as I have never had one pass through here; only the walnut versions. I agree that the color chart of the various Mohawk toners leaves a lot to be desired. Their product is excellent, their color chart sucks.

3. Yes, both.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, I'm sorry if I'm asking something that's already mentioned on the site, but I've searched and can't find. Is there any kind of Philco reference chart for toner colors to use on each model? I see a lot of questions about individual radios, but wondered if a broader reference exists.

In fact, I have a '36 60b that I need to know the toner colors for now. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

For the most part, Van Dyke Brown and Extra Dark Walnut cover the bases. Medium Brown is a nice, lighter shade when you don't want to go too dark. Some of the 1934-35 cabinets used black on trim areas. I like satin clear topcoat.

jayoungs Wrote:Ron, ...Is there any kind of Philco reference chart for toner colors to use on each model?

No.

Experience seems to be the key here. Thanks for the idea, though...this sounds like something useful for my website...all I need now is the time to put a page together. And time is a precious commodity with me...between working a real job, working on radios on the side, and spending very important quality time with a very special lady. Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks radiomikee for the color suggestions, I'll follow your guidance and see how it goes. With the lighter coloring of the main cabinet on this 60b, I think Medium Brown is probably spot on.

Ron, totally understand and thanks for the feedback. I just wanted to ask to avoid pestering you guys on every radio in case something did exist!

"Ignorance is bliss...'til you have to fix a radio..."

Ron Ramirez Wrote:
jayoungs Wrote:Ron, ...Is there any kind of Philco reference chart for toner colors to use on each model?

No.

Experience seems to be the key here. Thanks for the idea, though...this sounds like something useful for my website...all I need now is the time to put a page together. And time is a precious commodity with me...between working a real job, working on radios on the side, and spending very important quality time with a very special lady. Icon_biggrin

I think that's a great idea. Type and brand, and possibly application. Maybe cover the more popular or high end models.

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php