Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 50, did I jump too fast?

Just bid on a model 50 cathedral on Ebay and won. The set is tubeless, but seems to be together. Does anyone have both a front and rear view photo of this old set? Looking frantically around the Internet tonight, but don't see any rear view shots. Appreciate any help. EMAIL is n9vu at yahoo dot com. Thanks, GB.

There is a Model 52 chassis on our favorite online auction site right now. It will give you an idea of what the Model 50 chassis should look like.

http://cgi.ebay.com/6588590735

Model 50 is TRF, while Models 51 and 52 (identical chassis) are superhets. On top, the chassis look nearly identical.

(edit) Just found the Model 50 you won. Cabinet looks nice. I see yours is missing the tube shield as well as the five tubes.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yes Ron, that's my latest purchase. After I bought this I realized the tube shield was missing. Time for a scavenger hunt, LOL. I've always wanted one of these cathedrals. Simple looking thing. I've always missed out on bidding on one though. Hopefully this won't be too much of a let down, and something nicely restorable just like the others I own. GB.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Hmm, I'm wondering now if I offered the guy a few bucks for the chassis in this auction if I stand a chance of salvaging the tube sheilds.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

You never know...if he hasn't relisted it he may take your offer...worth a shot, anyway.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Well this was great, radio arrived ruined. Another lying seller who said he'd remove the speaker and didn't. You can guess what happened to a relatively nice radio. Back to claims again.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Oh, my...I'll spare you my rant on eBay sellers since today is Christmas Day, but I'm sorry to hear that happened.

You know, I can't help but wonder if this sort of thing will keep local swap meets alive after all...once enough of us get fed up with...you know, sellers who don't care.

Merry Christmas, Gary. Here's hoping that all of your radios in 2006 arrive in perfect condition. And may all eBay sellers who don't know/don't care how to properly package these nice old radios find only lumps of coal under their Christmas trees this morning!

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey now that's a novel idea, Ron. Coal's still cheap enough to stuff into stockings. Let's do it.

Oh I'm not obsessed at the loss. Chances are I'll get my money back but would rather have that model 50. Oh well, live and learn. I've plenty other restoration projects around my home. But the one that stands out so far as my pride and joy is that Zenith 7S363 I've restored to a real beauty now. OK, nuff said, this IS a Philco site. Thanks, GB.

mrphilco Wrote:Oh, my...I'll spare you my rant on eBay sellers since today is Christmas Day, but I'm sorry to hear that happened.

You know, I can't help but wonder if this sort of thing will keep local swap meets alive after all...once enough of us get fed up with...you know, sellers who don't care.

Merry Christmas, Gary. Here's hoping that all of your radios in 2006 arrive in perfect condition. And may all eBay sellers who don't know/don't care how to properly package these nice old radios find only lumps of coal under their Christmas trees this morning!

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Sorry to hear about your loss on the Model 50. I've pretty much quit bidding on cathedrals and tombstones because a lot of sellers don't do what you ask. All they care about is $$$$$. Luckily I haven't had many pieces damaged, but I've reached the point where I'll neg a seller for not following packing instructions. I hate to be that way, but sometimes that's the only thing that gets attention.

Tom

Well here's the latest. I agreed with the seller to keep the radio, he refunded my money minus about twenty dollars. In short the chassis is good. Tested it out with spare tubes I already have. It's a hummer with dirty chassis is all. The cabinet isn't too bad when you look at it. There's three clean breaks in the grill work that can be reglued to look almost like nothing happened, and with a little work basic perfection. I'm really glad I salvaged it. The guy offered me a full refund but I didn't want to pass up the radio, bottom line. Still need to get a tube shield for the thing. This might be my winter project after all. Thanks all for responding. I'd be interested in hearing other comments about the Model 50 in general. Thanks, GB.

73 de,

Gary/N9VU

Gary - glad to hear it all worked out, and that you will be able to repair the cabinet.

Model 50 sets work surprisingly well. I've only worked on one, and I didn't expect much out of it; but I was really (pleasantly) surprised when I powered it up and it picked up a lot of stations all across the dial with plenty of volume.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hey Ron,

I suspected this was a good performing unit even in the condition it is
in. When fired up on a variac, she hums like a son of a gun, yet stations were heard in the background. No telling what this will do when completed. Thanks for your words of encouragment. Darn if I forgot to take pics of before and after though. I guess it will live in my memory. Icon_smile

73 de,

Gary/N9VU