Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

Rehabing 42-854 AM/SW Portable

I asked 'cause has the opposite: while through the transformer (one of Kirks ACDC radios) the hum was very pronounced while when plugged directly in the outlet it simply disappeared.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Well order from Radiodaze came in today and it contained the mica cap and a few resistors I needed for this job. Dug in and started to replace # 7 and 8. 7 was connected to the band switch so I clipped it off as not to stress the bandswitch terminal and solder in the 100mmfd cap to the switch and to the tube socket. But wait!! 7 doesn't go to the bandswitch but 15 does. I had mistaken it for 7. Replaced it with 790mmfd (had a 800mmfd)
Now I'm on the hunt for 7 but I can't find it. What I did find was a gimmick cap with two wires twisted together. Maybe that's it but I don't think it would equal to 100mmfd.
8 was also awol. How can this be?? Moved 15 out of the way and found 8 (2.2meg resistor). Measured the resistance where it was soldered to and it was open. Then I notice that one end wasn't solder to the socket as it should be. Ahha! That 's where my intermittent was coming from! Remeasured it and was ok solder it in. Soldered in the micas that where disconnected and gave it a try.
Plays fine,Was listening to WBCQ which is around 7.4mc but the SW band has an issue at the low end on the band but I thinking that the oscillator 1LE3 tube is not up to par. No more conking out !!!!!! That was making me crazy!
That this point I'm calling it done till I run across another 1LE3. I'm pretty sure I have some spares but there buried in the shed somewhere. Didn't end up using any of the parts that came in today( was about $75 worth of resistors, micas, and some odds and ends).

Terry

Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap
well done!!!

All that and you didn't replace any thing really
Boy my mentor is failing me  Icon_sad
If you need 1le3 I have some but can not check them
My tester gives them a pretty blue light inside  Icon_eek

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Terry

You have some very demanding pupils; next thing you know they will start grading and evaluating you.
I would kick them out. Icon_lol

Congrats! That was one intransigent little bugger. You should come to it for a week every day and say "In your face!"

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.