Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Refinishing a Philco 37-630 floor model cabinet

Working on my Dad's old radio as a present for my daughter. Am just doing the cabinet. Have already taken the old finish off with a remover that does not take the stain off. Came out looking great except for the feet that could use a little coloring.I am used to rubbing in a tung oil varnish product at the end rather than work with lacquer finishes and doing several coats. Would prefer not using a toning lacquer if possible as the wood doesn't look like it needs toning. I don't like spraying finishes because they could go on unevenly and I don't like to change the original stain color when I can uncover it with the finish remover. Is the lacquer usually used on this radio a satin or glossy finish? What type of wood veneer is on this radio? Is it mahogany or walnut? Thanks.

Hi

The original finish on these cabinets was tinted lacquer. Philco never used tung oils or the like, nor did they use stains on the bare wood.

Walnut veneers were usually used on most prewar Philco cabinets, and the 37-630X is no exception.

And the final lacquer finish on your cabinet would have been high gloss.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. Am all set on the refinishing. Jack