Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

What do I use to clean and polish brown backelite?

(05-19-2016, 09:11 PM)KCMike Wrote:  I have some mothers I will give it a try. I did find this on ebay........
Wonder if it is old formula.

I think it is the original Mike.  Since it is in the metal can and from a foreign country it should be the good stuff..... just look at how much comes in that can, I think 100ML is only about 3 ounces.  Might be better off buying a good metal polish.

My favorite for both metal (cars) and radios is Satin Gloss Metal Polish, but guys also rave about Metal Armor and Mother's for use on radios.

Quote:morzh

I use polishing cloth. Should I use something else?

How long and with what kind of cloth do I need to rub it?
Will it be glossy or matte when finished?

Not quite sure what you mean by a polishing cloth, but if it is soft you should be OK.  The polish has fine abrasives in it so you have to rub it in well for them to work and then break down so you get a glossy finish.... it might take multiple applications.   Bakelite has a very thin outer finish that gives it gloss, if that outer layer has been compromised or removed in the past you might not get it as glossy as you'd like.  In cases like that some guys spray a light coat of clear on the cabinet.  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

Messages In This Thread
RE: What do I use to clean and polish brown backelite? - by Eliot Ness - 05-20-2016, 11:00 AM