Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 16 Series Console
Photo 

I recently purchased this Model 16 at an auction.  There are two features that I need help with.  First, there is a knob on the back of the chassis of which I do not know the purpose.  Second, what is this unit for that is attached to the inside right of the cabinet?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Attached Files Image(s)

The knob at the back of the chassis is for the QAVC adjustment. This acts a bit like a squelch control, cutting the audio as one tunes between stations. The toggle switch on the side of the cabinet turns this feature on or off.

The unit added to the right side doesn't look original to me. It seems to consist of slightly later vintage components. Could be an add on for a phonograph input, or some modification to improve radio reception. Information on how it is connected to the main chassis would help solve the mystery.

Do you have pictures of the front of the cabinet? That way, we could have a better chance with ID. Model 16 appeared in a number of variants but I would guess yours is an early chassis with five bands. It looks to be in quite undisturbed condition, and you even have the "Echo Absorbing Screen".

Ed

I don't hold with furniture that talks.

Welcome to the Phorum! Icon_wave

Looks like an aftermarket BFO (Philco maybe) (beat frequency oscillator) for listening to CW (code signals) on the Ham bands... Without the BFO code signals would just "clickity, click" unless the beat against another radio station carrier, (messy).

Nice addition if one can read code or put the tones into the computer to decode. The BFO would also make listening to Single-Side-Band voice, those sound like Donald Duck without the carrier (BFO) turned on. The radio may be hard to correctly tune the SSB but it is possible.

Remove if you like, I would buy for another Philco shortwave in my collection Icon_smile

YMMV

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”