Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average

philco 37-630 console cap value

Hello Im trying to recap this chassis and I cannot find the value for philco capacitor 30-4317. Not shown on schematic. My chassis does have the bakelight cap move update 3793-dg moved to rear of chassis.

Welcome to the Phorum!
Icon_wave 

30-4317 is a 0.008 uF cap.  I found it listed in the 38-620 schematic.  Check where the cap is located in the circuit, I'll bet its cap#56 and they just used a different version of the .008 cap.  Part numbers were changing frequently.

The 3793DG bakelite block cap is #67, the line filters, on the schematic and should have two Y2 safety caps replace the two 0.015 uF caps that are in the block.  

Welcome!

As always the model of the radio you are working on is helpful to know.
The reason being, sometimes the value is not critical and seeing the sch gives us the opportunity to estimate the value range so you possibly could use something you already have without having to go and buy the part.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Mike, the model is a 37-630, its in the title of the post. Icon_biggrin

Ah....OK, missed that Icon_smile

I always try to find info in the text skipping the title Icon_lol

NA does not have the sch Icon_sad
Any links?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

http://oldtech.net/Philco.html

Try here:

Thanks Mike!

Well, if it is either 47 or 56 caps from the tone control, I do not see much problem with using 10nF (0.01uF) caps there. Which is a more widely used value..
#56 has to be high voltage (630V and up), #47 is OK being 50V - 100V (in reality it has very little voltage on it)

Ok I ordered some .015 caps but didnt check that 3793 was the power line caps. Saw on just radios that there are x1y2 caps, ect and I have no idea what x1y2 or just y2 is other than safety caps. Main issue with this set is it just sounds distorted and not sure why yet. Seems like it drifts and gets distorted. Grid cap somewhere?
On the 6a8 tube I see a resistor that has a measured 100 ohm across pins 7 and 8. Cant tell what color its supposed to be since its way down in the center section. Also dont know if I must remove the center section to expose more parts that could be bad. I only see two caps in there, are there more resistors and caps under this center section tuning platform?
Total things I have done so far is replace the power supply B+ with caps rated at 450 volts(just saw that the working voltage might need to be higher?). Cleaned all the tube sockets as the tubes were a bear to remove. Replaced the 30-4446 as it seemed to be open .25uf

Of "sounds distorted": have you checked all the tubes?

Here's a tutorial on safety caps that makes it clear when you use X and when you use Y and what an X1/Y2 is. Basically you use an X safety cap across the line neutral and hot, use the Y safety caps when going from one side of the line to ground and you can use the X1/Y2 in either situation.

If there are still paper caps that have not been replaced, there is a good chance that may be part of your distortion problem as well. You asked if there are more caps in the center section. I've not worked on a 37-630 so I'm not sure but I've read some other threads that you do need to get into that subsection to replace caps. Here's one service tip on those subsections I located: http://www.philcorepairbench.com/tips/svctip02.htm and here's a thread on the topic: http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=15

Yes I saw the tip about the hidden caps, but didnt know if there were any more hidden in there.  Also have seen this long 14 guage wire tip.  Although IM not sure if they are just taking solid house wire and installing that in their soldering iron or ordering special long tips.
 One amazing thing about the paper caps is they are all oriented so that you can only see the philco part number, yet every one of them does have the actual value, which is conveniently facing the chassis so you cant see it.  David grimes must have also come up with this idea.

I remember checking all the tubes, one was open, a 6k7(replaced with borrowed tube from another radio).  All show in the green area on a tripplett emissions tester.

Check (YOU Tube) for the cap take out,,,,he twist the paper till it comes apart,,,,them ,,makes a rat tail on the new one ,,,and slides on ,,old lead,,,then solders it up,,CHEERS

will keep looking for that cap replacement trick.  Just happend to notice the alignment page.  Right under the knobs there are 4 trimmer caps.  1 big and 3 smaller ones just like underchassis picture.  In the middle of the chassis theres supposed to be 3 small ones(only has one large screw trimmer), and twards the rear supposed to be 3 more(only has one small screw trimmer cap.  The center, and rear only have 1 trimmer cap.  how many different versions of this 37-630 are there?

Beginning to wonder if this is a 37-630 chassis at all since its missing trimmer caps.  It does have the same tubes and layout of the 37-630.  The console cabinet itself has the 37-630 sticker in it.  Wish I could post a picture on here but haven't figured out how yet. 
Have now replaced the 2 under tuning gang caps.  Removing the tuning gang wasnt that hard, reinstalling it was ....insert colorful metaphore here.  Replaced 2 weak 6k7 tubes with nos and replaced the 6q7 as well.

http://oldtech.net/Philco/37-630p2.gif.  Alignment picture showing the adjusting caps.

I started collecting radios when I was a kid.......never kept any of them.  Always messed them up(didnt know what I was doing)  Sucessfully bought my first radio and got it working in 1995in california, and carried it home on a 3 day train ride.  It was a philco 38 code 123 battery operated farm set. 

Ok everyone was waiting for this. 37-630.....CODE 125! Haven't worked on philcos since 2002. Found post on philco removing some trimmers. Now if I just had the schematic I could try to do an alignment.

I started collecting radios when I was a kid.......never kept any of them.  Always messed them up(didnt know what I was doing)  Sucessfully bought my first radio and got it working in 1995in california, and carried it home on a 3 day train ride.  It was a philco 38 code 123 battery operated farm set.