Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tube tester covered with Tolex

I have a tube tester I am restoring that has a wood cabinet covered with the Tolex. I have zero experience with this, so I am hoping for some tips before I grab the glue bottle and start smearing. I don't know if it would be best to try to simply re-glue the existing tolex or rip off and replace.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I would just re-glue for simplicity and for originality.   If when lifting up a section to apply glue it feels like the whole piece will easily peel off you might want to do that.  Then you can glue the whole piece back on.  

John KK4ZLF
Lexington, KY
"illegitimis non carborundum"

There is absolutely no reason to re-cover. Spray adhesive on both pieces, wait a few seconds and bond.

I have saved many coverings this way..

The one below was peeled half way off all around...

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

Other then the glue letting go near the edges the oil cloth/leatherette looks like it's in fairly good shape so I would try gluing it back down rather then recovering the case, recovering the case would be close to performing a re-upholstery job. It may be a good idea to clean under the areas that are lifting before gluing them back down, glue doesn't stick well to dirt and dust. 
Regards
Arran

It feels like the rest of it is pretty tight on there. I have some Tolex glue and I also have some spray glue. I think I will try the tolex glue 1st and see what kind of result I get. Looks good Kirk! Thanks for sharing! Got some rusty hinges and clips to deal with also.

If I could find the place called "Somewhere", I could find "Anything" Icon_confused

Tim

Jesus cried out and said, "Whoever believes in me , believes not in me but in him who sent me" John 12:44

I got one recently that had termites in the wood as well as a bad cover.

I guess that I could make a lid too.

I would just re-glue yours.

"I just might turn into smoke, but I feel fine"
http://www.russoldradios.com/

With the Electronic part of this restoration finished, I have moved on to the cabinet. The hardware is rusty. Some of it cleaned up nicely with the wire brush on my Dremel tool. Some didn't. The tolex appears to be fairly poor quality, and the install not so good either. I am debating on recovering or re gluing. Several tears and cracks, corners torn off, etc. AES has some hardware, like the feet and a handle, but I haven't found any hinges or latches. Does anyone know where I can find these items? Or even what terms to use for internet searches? This isn't for show, but I do want it to look decent.

Tim

I have started the repair. Note: repair. I decided to try regluing the tolex first. I used the tolex glue from AES. I will post the results later.

Tim

Cant wait to see her!

As of 1/01/2021

Ok, here she is:

I used a small wire wheel on the Dremel to clean the metal parts. I used Tolex glue from AES to reglue the loose places. Then, I finished it off with several coats of black shoe polish In the last pic it is testing an 80 globe. This was my first attempt at restoring a tolex covered cabinet. Not perfect, but it does present well for a 60 year old tube tester. I would certainly want to practice on some junk cabinets before I would try to recover anything worth anything, and this glue is hard on paint brushes!

Tim

WHAT  Icon_eek        come on  that is excellent Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap  Icon_thumbup  

sam

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

That is Fantastic!  Icon_clap Icon_clap

As of 1/01/2021

Icon_eek stunning transformation!  Awesome job...

... do mine next?  Icon_lol

There are no personal problems that can't be overcome with the liberal application of high explosives

Thanks guys for the compliments! Steve, I sure don't envy you, but I bet you can make something out of that project. Sure makes things easier getting how to's from folks that have 'been there, done that! Thanks again!

Tim

Excellent job!!!