Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Model 70 Speaker Problem

Several months ago I "rescued" a Philco Model 70 from a thrift store. I'm in the process of collecting a speaker, output transformer and other missing components.

A few days ago I purchased a Model 70 speaker with attached output transformer. Unfortunately, the field coil and primary winding of the output transformer appear to be open. (For guidance I'm using Ron's informative Tech Section article titled "The Speaker Problem in Early Philco Cathedrals.")

Has anyone repaired or rewound one of these field coils? I understand the center of the "pot" is pressed into the frame. I'd appreciate any advice (e.g., disassembly, technique).

A post on the Phorum states that replacement output transformers are available from Hammond. I'd prefer an original. As with the field coil, I'd welcome any advice on repairing or rewinding these transforms. Alternatively, has anyone used an individual or business that performs these services? Ron's Philco Resources mentions Heyboer Transformers. Is this cost effective or should I renew my search for a good used speaker and output transformer?

Thanks,

Allen Bell
Santa Barbara

Hi

An original audio output transformer for a Model 70 speaker that is still good is going to be rather difficult to find.

Having a transformer wound by Heyboer is not cost effective if you plan on "flipping" the set. If you really like the set and want to keep it, then yes, the expense is worth it. Heyboer does excellent work, by the way.

The field coil problem was recently discussed in another thread...
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...p?tid=1465

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron:

Thanks for your reply and the thread. The Model 70 is a "keeper" so I requested cost estimates from Heyboer and Tubes Tubes Tubes for rewinding the field coil and output transformer. I'll pass on the results.

Allen in Santa Barbara

PS: As a newcomer, I'd like to say "thanks" for all your time and effort. I've relied on your website countless times before and after purchasing my two Philco radios. (My other set is a Model 620.)