Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Power cord, cloth clad, Radiodaze.

I noticed that Daze and a few other folks started selling the cloth covered power cord that is not as shiny as what they sold before. They say it is cotyon-rayon blend.

I bought it. I like it better as it looks closer to the old cords, they did not shine so much either.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

(06-02-2016, 09:15 PM)morzh Wrote:  I noticed that Daze and a few other folks started selling the cloth covered power cord that is not as shiny as what they sold before. They say it is cotyon-rayon blend.

I bought it. I like it better as it looks closer to the old cords, they did not shine so much either.

Mike;
  I bought some repro cloth cord from Radio Daze a few years ago and I immediately noticed that it was thinner then the original ones I have, though it is a good match to some vintage lamp cords. This isn't to say that all cloth cords were thicker but the ones I have were, my guess is that they must have taken modern zip cord and wrapped thread around it, since the actual guage of the with is the same. The closest that I have seen to the original cords is some 16 gauge "designer" extension cords, but those are only 5 feet long , maybe Radio Daze has something similar to to original stuff by now?
Regards
Arran

The last time I bought cloth-covered cord from Daze, it was the shinier type that is black plastic zip cord with a cloth covering.

So, Mike, does the newer, less shiny cord have plastic zip cord inside, or individual cloth-covered wires as the original cord had?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Arran

As the gauge goes, any wire you can imagine that goes into the line cord is way too thick for any imaginable radio. Gauge 20 is rated for 11A, 18 is for 16A and 16 is for 22A for short distances (chassis wiring). Not for inside wall wiring of course. But for radio line cords any of them is more than adequate.

Ron

Plastic, same as the other one was. I'm not even sure any one does individual cloth clad inside cloth wrap anymore.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

AES has stopped supplying the exact repo cord they had. It was expensive but it was really nice with the cloth covered inner wires and the right color cotton cover.

Gregb

grandbrass lamp parts (grandbrass.com) sells many types of cloth covered wire with individual cloth covered inner conductors.  For example: WI18POBR-C Description: 18/2 BROWN RAYON FLAT BRAIDED CLOTH COVERED WIRE WITH TWO CONDUCTORS SOLD BY THE FOOT OR ON A 250FT. ROLL. (This is an Antique Replica Wire and is not U.L. Rated) Fits through 1/8 IPS nipple.  But it is PRICY!  $.95 per foot.  They also have the old style black twisted pair wire often seen on late 20's sets, and the old style AC plugs also.

Thanks for that lead Dave!

Yes, thanks for the lead Dave. I'll be buying some when they reopen on 7/11.

Sundialwire.com is the place I got mine from. Make sure to order the cotton variety and not the rayon type. Rayon leaves the cord with a silk like sheen. I'm am very impressed and pleased with my purchase from Sundial Wire. I got the 18 AWG cotton brown two wire and it adds to the appearance.

[Image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150371787@...res/p7om8j]
Hey guys, this whole AC cord thing has been a bit frustrating for me.  I must have OCD, as I want it to look as original as possible.  I used to get a replica cord from Howard Granoff in Silver Springs, MD.  It is much thicker than any that is available now and is appropriate for some of the late 1920's and early 1930's sets.  I would give my left arm (figuratively) to be able to find more of it.  The wire I purchased from AES in the past was satisfactory for early to mid 1930's sets.  I recently purchased a roll from Sundial and was very disappointed in it as it was merely zip cord covered by a weave.  From the mid 1930's manufacturers started using rubber insulated line cord.  That is still available from Belden (#19115) and I buy it from a local distributor by the 250' roll.  I will  try to attach a photo of what I am talking about.  But thanks so much for the lead to Grand Brass, I will check them out.
Regards, Dennis

< I used to get a replica cord from Howard Granoff in Silver Springs, MD.

You've been at this for awhile! I use to go over to Howard's apt to buy some odds and ends back in the '70s. He had radios stuck in every little crevice and had a big old Buick or Olds cram packed too. He told me that he was hiding them from his wife, he was a character!!
RIP

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Dennis, for some reason your image did not post.  I tried to edit it and make it post but was not successful.  I'm not a flickr user so perhaps there is something specific to flickr that other flickr users can help with.  I downloaded the image and repost it here:

[Image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5462...ercord.jpg]

(12-19-2016, 09:54 AM)Dennis Craft Wrote:  [Image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/150371787@...res/p7om8j]
Hey guys, this whole AC cord thing has been a bit frustrating for me.  I must have OCD, as I want it to look as original as possible.  I used to get a replica cord from Howard Granoff in Silver Springs, MD.  It is much thicker than any that is available now and is appropriate for some of the late 1920's and early 1930's sets.  I would give my left arm (figuratively) to be able to find more of it.  The wire I purchased from AES in the past was satisfactory for early to mid 1930's sets.  I recently purchased a roll from Sundial and was very disappointed in it as it was merely zip cord covered by a weave.  From the mid 1930's manufacturers started using rubber insulated line cord.  That is still available from Belden (#19115) and I buy it from a local distributor by the 250' roll.  I will  try to attach a photo of what I am talking about.  But thanks so much for the lead to Grand Brass, I will check them out.
Regards, Dennis

There's something about the feel of a rubber line cord. It nice and flexible almost has a little bit of a bounce to it. The plastic stuff always feel stiff.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry