Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

511 series AF transformers

After replacing a burned out 71A tube I was getting one strong channel but no volume control. I figured I'd recap it and see what I got. While waiting for the new caps to arrive I went through the chassis more thoroughly and found that the output choke was taken out of the circuit with the speaker connected directly to the 71A and worse, the 2 AF transformers (#3077) appear to be open... I doubt I'll be able to find replacements and I don't want to put a lot of money into it. Is it possible to rewind these myself or use some modern replacements?

Hi

While these can be rewound, modern replacements are available for the audio interstage transformers from a few sources. You will want transformers with a 1:3 ratio.

Or, you could change the audio interstage transformers to resistance coupling. Details here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/audio.htm
Scroll down to "Modification C."

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron, I will try the resistance coupling if I can't find an appropriate match. This may be a silly question but, could I use a 110v to 36v power transformer (1:3 ratio) as a substitute? Also what kind of current rating should be used?