Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco Model 088 Signal Generator

Hi Folks!

I restored a Philco 088 Signal Generator and thought I should post the info I have to help anyone else who might want to restore one.  My first time posting so we'll see how long it takes me to figure out posting pics, schematics, etc....

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

Hello Preston
The 088 looks better than when it left the factory keep the good info. coming

Thanks George!

Here's what it looked like when I first got it:

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

Wow! That's beautiful! I WANT ONE!!!! Ed

I've seen two others Ed!

Starting into the physical restoration,  I really didn't want to remove the original black paint on the face.  The face is some type of brass alloy - I thought it to be possibly brass and copper but I'm not a metallurgist.   So I brought out my secret weapon.... KETCHUP!   Yep, Ketchup.  I put it on a small section of the dial, waited 20 minutes, rubbed if for about 5 minutes with my finger and it worked!  I'll let the Chemisty majors out there explain the reason.  Here was the first pass:

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

The Ketchup did about 80% of the work for me.  The remaining work on the face plate was all detailing - some black paint touch up, sanding out some scratches,  using copper cleaner on some of the tough spots, and then three coats of clear, semi-gloss lacquer.  

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

The chassis and the components were in good shape.  Even had 45V and 22.5V batteries... Haha!  Of course, they were dead.    I replaced the paper capacitors and replaced the tube with one that had been tested by a thorough person with a calibrated Hickok mutual conductance tester.  Lots of Deoxit on all contacts.

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

I hooked up a slew of Harbor Freight batteries needed to test the generator ( I now have multiple power supplies).  It put out a strong signal and I used it to align a Philco radio on my bench.  It's a keeper and has a prominent position on the bench...

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

Here are the schematics - I hope there's enough resolution to read it....

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

And the instructions on how to connect the batteries....

Attached Files Image(s)

Preston Smith
USAF Retired
Chalfont, Pa

Very nice work!
Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap

(06-12-2016, 05:17 PM)Preston Smith Wrote:  I've seen two others Ed!

Starting into the physical restoration,  I really didn't want to remove the original black paint on the face.  The face is some type of brass alloy - I thought it to be possibly brass and copper but I'm not a metallurgist.   So I brought out my secret weapon.... KETCHUP!   Yep, Ketchup.  I put it on a small section of the dial, waited 20 minutes, rubbed if for about 5 minutes with my finger and it worked!  I'll let the Chemisty majors out there explain the reason.  Here was the first pass:

At this point I'm trying to separate want and need into two different catagories.  They do tend to get confused at times.  Ed

wow great loooking Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_clap Icon_thumbup

Some day, and that day may never come, I will call upon you to do a service for me. But until that day, accept this justice as a gift
mafiamen2

Howdy Neighbor,
Welcome to the Phorum. Nice job on the signal generator, I've got the AC version around here somewhere.

Terry

Welcome, Preston.

I see you collect oscillators Icon_smile

I restored an HP200 about 2 years back.....plus a couple of SG8 RF ones.

As for cleaning the brass:
Ketchup is neat.
The secret is the acid.
Same results are obtained using vinegar and salt.
Ketchup is a paste so it does not run, and provides nice cleaning action, and so will the vinegar/salt mix, which is mixed with flour and water, creating the paste that does not run.
So will do the lemon juice. One way is to take half of the lemon, dip it in salt and rub the surface of the brass object to be cleaned. Keep dipping the lemon in salt as needed. Use table salt, it is fine and won't scratch.

PS. After the ketchup has done its work, it needs to be licked off. This creates a gastronomic pleasure along with the aesthetic one from watching a cleaned brass surface Icon_lol

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.