Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 370 Chairside - Veneer Questions

Thank you Arran for questioning my assumption about the type of wood! I know I've read in multiple places that walnut veneer used in antique radios is almost always not American walnut. But...

According to the 370 Sales Card (http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=13735):

Quote:The sides are vertical and horizontal Matched Pin Stripe Black Walnut and Figured Oriental Wood. Note particularly the diamond matching of the Pin Stripe American Walnut top.

Icon_e_surprised

And it's not just this model. A few other examples from the same flip book:

Model 70 Highboy
Quote:This massive Highboy is 39 1/4" high and 23 1/2" wide, of American Black Walnut with Figured Walnut instrument panel. The overlays are Quilted Maple and the pilasters of Pin Stripe Walnut.

Model 90 Baby Grand
Quote:The instrument panel is Matched Butt Walnut, found usually only in ex­pensive furniture. The Oriental Wood arch is V-Matched, adding to the richness of the American Black Walnut body.

Model 112 Low-Boy
Quote:It is executed in walnut; the figured instrument panel is framed in V-Matched Oriental Wood, Matched Butt Walnut pilasters carry out the design theme, executed in the top and sides in American Black Walnut.

In any case, this is great news! Apparently the diamond-matched veneer from Constantine's is the perfect match.

I guess it just goes to show that a little 'knowledge' is a dangerous thing. Icon_lol

-Nathan

Messages In This Thread
RE: Philco 370 Chairside - Veneer Questions - by Nathan Slingerland - 06-15-2016, 05:33 AM
RE: Philco 370 Chairside - by Nathan Slingerland - 08-08-2016, 10:01 PM