Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Restoration of Philco 40-180

Can anyone tell me if it is OK to repaint the Cartouche metal plate around the radio dial on an original Philco console model 40-180? If I repaint that part, does it destroy the collector value of the radio?

Thanks,

Bill St

Hi

I assume you mean the escutcheon. And, yes, it is OK to repaint it as long as it is painted the same color as original, in order to maintain collector value.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Ron, Thanks for getting back to me on my painting question. I appreciate the feedback.

Bill St

Oh, shoot, there's a thread about this running amok elsewhere on this board. Plastikote's Odds & Ends line (the little stubby cans) paintcode #139S, "brass," is what I believe was recommended. (Someone had sanded mine and then painted it black.)

Hi,
I posted that. Make sure you get all the old paint off it before spraying. I think you will be happy with the results.
Take care,
Gary.

And here is the thread:
http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=1318

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

I recommend a chemical strip of the old paint if possible, and a Dremel wire wheel to remove any rust scale and clean out the grooves. Have some ultra-fine sandpaper ready to do the final "polish" of the metal if you do the wire wheel, though, as you may well plant swirl marks in the metal with it. This is the voice of experience speaking here... Icon_redface