Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

37-610 volume pot acting funny

A few days ago, I went to the SARS spring meet in Atlanta. I traded my 38-62 for this 37-610. I told myself no more Philco's, but this is one I always liked. It was recapped before I got it. It has audio, but the volume control is very touchy. It only has one point where it's listenable - any lower and you can't here it at all, any higher, and it squeals like crazy. The cabinet it in pretty good shape, but the chassis is very dirty and needs lots of work. I tried spraying the pot, but it's sealed, and it made no difference.

Attached Files Image(s)

Slave to an RCA Victor CTC-25

Hi Dave,
A few things come to mind. Open volume control. To check disconnect and use an analog ohm meter connected to the center post and one of the ends. Set meter to it's highest scale. Needle of the meter should move nice and smooth. If needle jumps around you need a new pot.
Tube shields in place??
Could the previous recap job has issues. Wrong value cap in the wrong place or wire placement after recap could be causing your set to oscillate.

CTC-25 Glutton for punishment!!!!! My parents had a CTC-7 when I was a kid back in '59. Used it till the early 70's when they got a Sony Trinatron.

Terry

Next time I'm at the radio club I'll check those things. The CTC-25 has been a good little TV. It has not yet given me any trouble and I've had it since February. The two varmints are the CTC-40 and the Zenith 25DC56. I think I finally got the Zenith ironed out though. With the help of some fellow TV collectors.

Slave to an RCA Victor CTC-25

I've got a RCA 6T65 (KCS-47A) from '50 that I fixed up about 10 or 15 yrs ago.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/42774321@N...ateposted/
Evey once in a while something will give up the ghost and it will require some service.
Last go around it was the vert osc transformer, luckily I've got a few parts sets.

Terry