Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Newbie Neophyte Question

Hello- I'm new here, and to be brutally honest, I would probably be lucky to even clean a radio chassis without ruining it, let alone attempt a repair. I've had a Philco 41-295 (?) that my great grandparents bought new for about 35 years now. Although it quit working sometime ago (from lack of use, would be my guess) I am SOMEWHAT familiar with Philcos. I've recently saved an old 39-40 from a trip to the landfill, and after soldering in a new power cord and replacing a few missing tubes from my "used tube grab bag" I got the old gal to work. It's missing the pushbuttons, but is otherwise complete. I was disappointed to discover that for whatever the reason, the on/off switch was no longer the extreme left- hand pushbutton (like the one I've had so long), but rather a semi- hidden toggle switch. I don't have a clue where the switch's wires were originally connected, but if someone here could clue me in, I'd like to try and attempt the repair and ditch the toggle switch. If I get that far, I'd also like to acquire some pushbuttons and refinish the cabinet, as well. Sorry for such a rambling first post, but I'm not much of a writer. Thanks, - Betruger-

Hi and welcome.

Unlike your 41-295, your 39-40's off-on toggle switch just under the top edge of the speaker grille is original. Philco did not start using the far left pushbutton for an off-on switch until the 1941 season.

This means all eight pushbuttons on your 39-40 may be set to favorite AM stations, not just the last seven as on your 41-295.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thank you for allowing me post my question here, and your informative reply! Boy, do I feel like a horse's rear! Well, it's on to the push buttons and perhaps a little refinishing work then- I believe I'll also explore the 41-295's problem as well this winter, as I hear it's supposed to be a long one this year... Thanks -Betruger-

Oh, don't feel bad...remember, the only stupid question is the one that you do not ask.

Please feel free to post anytime Icon_biggrin

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Welcome Betruger! I think it is very "honorable" of you to want to repair your Grandparents family Philco! They will be proud, and youre in the very best company here to see your successful !! It is a great-hobby saving these old vintage radios!! Dont ever feel intimidated to post your questions here at all!! Best of luck with your restorations, and all here are ready to help you!! Randal

Thank you for your encouraging words, I really appreciate them- I'm sure that I'll probably need to purchase some bits and pieces (the plastic push buttons, for example) and very well may quickly find myself in over my head. Is there someone on the board who is either in or near MI that sells parts for (and possibly services) old Philcos? That would be a most useful and valuable resource as far as what I'd like to do is concerned, I should think Icon_smile Thank You -Betruger-

You might be able to get the pushbuttons from Larry Bordonaro at Old Time Replications. Ron might know the correct ones to order.

http://www.philcoradio.com/resource.htm

Two parts suppliers in MI are Mark Oppat's Old Radio Parts and Renovated Radios.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN