Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Concert Grand Alert

http://cgi.ebay.com/170276857684

Wow...a 1930 Concert Grand! Too bad its original cloth has been replaced.

Texasrocker (Randal), is this close to you?

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Wow! Nice Philco indeed! Ron, Plano Tx is a suburb just north of the Dallas metroplex. I used to live in Dallas yrs ago. Im now in w-central Tx ( San Angelo). Its about 10 hrs round-trip to Plano from here. If you want to bid on that Radio, PM me, & I will work it out with you! I have a pickup & quilted moving pads! Icon_wink

Thanks for the kind offer, Tex, but $$$ is short right now so I will have to pass. Due to the sagging economy, this one may go for less than a grand (no pun intended).

I've only seen two other Concert Grands...one in an antique store in Florida many years ago at $1500...and another at a radio swap meet I did a presentation at; this one was only there for display, not for sale. Both had their original cloth, which isn't just a grille cloth; it covers the entire front panel which is behind the double doors.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

What might the one on sale be worth these days?

A guy had a 37-690 with a nicve cabinet, but with just filter capacitors replaced, offered at the SCARS event today for $1,500 and not sold. I was very tempted, but I would prefer to have a 38-690.

Web site: http://www.masekconsulting.net
Radio Photos: http://www.photobucket.com - album id FStephenMasek

Your welcome Ron! I bought a couple lotto tickets today, but havent had time to scratch them yet to see if I won. Most likely I didnt, but If I do, that Philco Grand is going to be delivered 1st-class to your home,( after I carefully remove all tubes and pack separately) with a complimentary 6-pak of your favorite beer gratis of TxVintageRadios indeed! I know what ya mean about extra-spendin money these days!! There is a very-rare 1928-29 Zenith "Spanish Deluxe"(TRF) Console here in my hometown, cabinet design very ornate looks like small upright piano, that Conrad Hilton purchased to install in the lobby of our local historical (histerical)"Cactus Hotel"... back in the early 30s. The radio was given to a hotel mgr after Conrad sold the hotel, and it passed into his sons ownership. He turned down a offer of $6500 for it last yr ( so he says) from a Calif Radio Collector! Its a very nice rare radio also,but none of them are worth that much money!! I told him not to plug it in until the caps have been replaced first!! Icon_wink

FStephenMasek Wrote:What might the one on sale be worth these days?

I don't like getting into values, which can be very subjective, but...how about between $500-1500. Subtract some value for the non-original cloth on the front panel, of course.

FStephenMasek Wrote:A guy had a 37-690 with a nice cabinet, but with just filter capacitors replaced, offered at the SCARS event today for $1,500 and not sold. I was very tempted, but I would prefer to have a 38-690.

The 37-690 is one of the nicest-looking pieces of furniture Philco ever built (IMO); the other being the Concert Grand. But the 38-690 is a somewhat better radio than the 37-690, if its cabinet is not quite as fancy.

Asking $1500 for a 37-690 (especially in this economy) is being, shall we say, optimistic. $500-1000 is more realistic, I think.

Edit: Oh yeah, you're in Southern California...multiply those quoted values of mine by a factor of 2. Icon_lol

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Amazing, the only Concert Grand I can recall seeing on eBay in 11 years...and it sells for only $500.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Yea Ron, seeing the value of rare vintage-radios on ebay, is kinda dis-heartening. More than likely, the new owner will make mega-bucks on it in the future if he reposts it, and a true bonafide "epay bidding war" breaks out? Nice rare Philco indeed!! Seems that only the Zenith 7G605 Bomber/ Sailboat grill models & the A.K. early breadboards, and Catalin sets , have dedicated ebay "bid-followers" these days ? Since Im a "poor boy" anyways , those kind of radios are out of my price-range unless I find them for sale in 2nd hand stores where I can actually "bargain" a fair price. I did get a chance to purchase a couple of restorable orig Zenith 7G605s WW2 portables a few yrs ago for $5. each in a old radio repair shop buyout. I sold one on epay for $1215. after a bid-war broke out.I had to relist it to get any attention. 2nd times a charm sometimes using auctions. I also have had good luck selling online with some vintage 1950s era McIntosh tube hifi gear to Japan buyers in the past for good profit. The new Philco Concert Grand buyer got a great deal, but money is "tight" now, so finding a new buyer in the future may be another issue if he decides to resell? Investments work in mysterious ways in this hobby? Just my .02 Icon_wink

Texasrocker Wrote:Investments work in mysterious ways in this hobby? Just my .02 Icon_wink

In all hobbies, sir. That's why "hobbies" aren't "investments." Icon_wink

Hi!
Just to let everyone know that I am the new owner of the Concert Grand! I was very suprised to get this fine set for $500, and even with shipping and dollar exchange, it cost less than I was willing to pay. Someone mentioned that the last one they saw was on e-Bay approx 11 years ago... I bid on that one back then, and lost out on it. I vowed to buy the next one I saw, but one never came up for sale anywhere that I know of until now. Anyone know if I can find a more original type of grill cloth for it?

Brad Winder
Hay Lakes, Alberta, Canada

Hi Brad

I congratulate you, sir, on your fine acquisition. No, I have no idea where you might find a more original-type cloth...this cloth was unique to the Concert Grand.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Hi Ron,
Thanks! It now has it's place in my library room, incidently sitting next to a 37-690! Looks way grander than the 690, but won't sound as good...!
I "reformed" the caps by slowly ramping up the voltage over several hours, and the radio does work, but it will require a tune-up. But that should be easy, as I don't think the chassis has been messed with. Very clean! Tubes still have the dealer decals on them, that match the dealer decal pasted on the back.

I think that the Concert Grand used the same chassis as a Philco 96, did it not? More then likely some of those dot code resistors under the chassis will need to be checked, those things drift even if the set is never played. It should sound fairly decent once the electronics are up to factory specs, push pull 45s put out a reasonably clean sound, although they overload and distort at the high end, if it's the 96 chassis it will also have an AVC circuit.
Regarding the front panel, the original cloth in the photos that I have seen of other sets looks like some form of off white Jacquard or Damask cloth, somewhat like what was used on some chairs and draperies, smooth with vines or flowers woven into it.
Happy Christmas
Happy New Year

Miquelonbrad Wrote:I "reformed" the caps by slowly ramping up the voltage over several hours, and the radio does work, but it will require a tune-up. But that should be easy, as I don't think the chassis has been messed with. Very clean! Tubes still have the dealer decals on them, that match the dealer decal pasted on the back.

That radio did not use electrolytics, all of the caps in the large metal filter can are paper. Paper caps cannot be reformed.

Watch out! Paper caps can and will fail, also, with equally disastrous results. I once had a 96 that still worked, and so I played it...until one day I turned it on, I heard a loud hum and then smoke. Yup...shorted filter which took out the power transformer.

You really, really should replace ALL of the paper caps in that radio if you plan on using it. That is a fine piece of furniture and deserves no less.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Very nice radio, even with the wrong grill cloth. I've never seen a set like that. I agree with Ron. All the paper caps need replacing, and, check all resistors. Audio transformers should also be checked for opens. I've even seen partially open transformers that still somewhat worked on remainning windings.
Very nice find.
Bill Cahill

"If it lights in the dark and leaves you with a warm glow it's tubes."

"Honey, did you warm the baby bottle on my 75 watt hi-fi again?"
"I left it somewhere, but, where?"