Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

I.F. Transformer Repair

One of the I.F. transformer in my 610 will not tune properly and after looking at it I suspect that the tunning cap mica insulators in that section of the transformer are disintergrating. What have you done to repair/replace the mica in the I.F. tunning cap? I guess I could always add a cap under the cahssis to tune that section of the I.F. transformer and remove the cap inside the I.F. can, but I would prefer to repair it if possible.

Harv

I've never attempted a repair of the mica insulation in a 1936 Philco IF transformer. I suppose it could be done, though.

On the very rare occasions that I have had a bad IF, I usually have a replacement from my parts stash kicking around here somewhere.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron. Now my next question is where on the web to look for an I.F. transformer, since I would think they are rare items.

Harv

mandh Wrote:Thanks Ron. Now my next question is where on the web to look for an I.F. transformer, since I would think they are rare items.

Your best bet is to find a parts chassis. 610s are fairly common

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

I've got some pieces of mica that I've salvaged from trimmers. About an inch square, you can trim to size. Wouldn't be a problem to drop one in the mail if you think it could help.
A piece of cellophane will work in a pinch too.
-Bill

Thanks to all for your suggestions. Bill, your mention of the piece of mica you have reminded me that I have a bunch of transistor mounting kits that have mica washers in them. They have been sitting in the junk box for years, so I guess it's time to make use of one.

Harv