Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

38-10T chassis Restoration begins

Hello Chas,
Yes , I was giving this link by a friend https://www.dairiki.org/hammond/cable-la...9Hbrv0qsxQ

Anyway I will just do the two ends like the original now I need to figure out what color wire I do have Green and Red and white I bought my wire from radio daze !

Well Bob thank you after this wire my next item is to reproduce some old style resistors .

Sincerely Richard

Richard,

Yes, the WIKI tells you why but the Navy document tells you how. That, I have taken note as all the conventions in the document I learned at Raytheon. I re-processed the html into a pdf. Easier to send and read without a browser...

Just a note, harnessing is not for a radio that has been functional. Altering wire positions and bundling certain connections can cause oscillation. In "boatanchor" radios harnessing is designed in.

You might do some online searching as there is a four-wire textile covered cable used for lighting that would save the aggravation of finding the specific wires and wrestling with a braided casing. There is also cotton braided casing that can be dyed brown. That type of braid, as long as it is near to size can be hand worked to tighten around the wire bundle.

I had a dream, that when I retired I would set-up a specialty braiding mill. Capital was available so long as I did not have more than two or three employees. I HAD all the machinery in storage. But, it was the necessary bookkeeping and the mill SPACE that became the issue. Along with all the other requirements an industry has. My dream became a nightmare that fortunately I awakened too before it came a reality. What was the realty, I did however, set up one braider and one bobbin winder.  What I can say from that trial run is that any custom braider WILL have a minimum time and materials costs. Especially if the yarn is not in stock. Winding 16 bobbins for a run takes at least 90 minutes, trial runs for tension and braid angle another 1/2 hour before even the first inch of cable is produces. Today's labor costs, I estimate that is roughly $500 in time and material before the start button is pressed.  My dream from textiles hobbyist to mill manufacture simply vanished. My total expense during the "learning curve" was around $7,000.. It would have cost me some $150,000 for four years in a textile manufacturing college, but I would not have had any fun, I think I got a bargain...

Chas

Pliny the younger
“nihil novum nihil varium nihil quod non semel spectasse sufficiat”

Hello Chas,
Yes, and far as this wiring harness goes it is just from the radio chassis to the speaker !

Sincerely Richard

Chas

I applaud your entrepreneurial spirit for at least having tried, as myself, I would've not even try. Just the mental picture of me running a business scares the bejesus out of me. I am an eternal employee type.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

Hello Guys,
I have a question about the wiring colors for the Philco speaker wires is there a chart or does anyone know what factory colors are used.

Here is the schematic

Sincerely Richard

Attached Files Image(s)

Rich,

The schematic "seems" to suggest it is green, white and blue...

Pliny the younger

Chas,
Thank you I seen Green and white but I did not see the blue I will also look what color is still atached to the speaker I always leave like 1/4 inch .

Sincerely Richard

The blue label is at the filament of the rectifier which is common to the field coil. Though the wire itself may be another color as it is routed to the speaker. At this point it would seem blue would be consistent with an identical circuit connection to the "hi" B+...

Chas

Pliny the younger

Chas,
Yes, I agree that would be the most logical!
I happen to have those 3 colors too.
One thing I need to do is to order some more colors. I have been using 20 gauge for most of my wiring. I currently don’t have any 18 gauge cloth wire except power cords .
. Do you think 20 gauge is heavy enough for the blue wire?
Anyway I am starting to get more work doing old car radios too.

Sincerely Richard
P.S. Who do you buy your cloth wire from ?