Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average

Philco 16B restoration

Well, Kirk finished the cabinet which I got from him during the last Kutztown meet.
(I will have to drill the hole for the switch. Somehow it is veneered over and Kirk swore it was not him Icon_lol )

The chassis is not too bad.
The speaker is another matter: although electrically it is OK, xfmr, field and all, but the cone is missing half the wavy part (almost like eaten with something) at the perimeter, and though rubber cement came to mind.....it is too muchm almost half, and surely will affect the sound quality which would be OK for a radio like 38-12 but not OK for a 16.
So I will either get a new speaker or re-cone this one which probably will be the same price.

There were repairs done prior to me, likely in 40-s: there are some bright orange tubular caps that I also encountered in Zeniths before. There was also something else, I forgot. Plus the antenna and GND clips were bent out of shape, not sure what the purpose was; I had to bent them back.

I took some pictures, will post them later.
This is going to be a battle.

Although, in all honesty, while looking underneath, I had noticed it is a better arranged chassis with easier access to parts than, say, the 18 or 118 which I have just finished.

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

If the cone unscrews you maybe able to get a foam surround. Fit it using some spray adhesive on the cone side and clamp it between the basket/cardboard washer.

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

The cone does indeed unscrew.
What's a foam surround? Something I make or something someone makes for me?

People who do not drink, do not smoke, do not eat red meat will one day feel really stupid lying there and dying from nothing.

There are used on modern spkrs as the flexible part that goes between the paper and frame. You don't have to make it your self you buy them but you do have to know the size, OD and width.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Speaker+...m+surround

Terry

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

I extracted the tuning cap. There is a gear that has rubber coated parts. What do I do with those? Are the rubber parts being sold by anyone?

You are going to DRILL my beautiful cabinet!

You should have told me.. I would have loved to massacre that cabinet, Icon_lol

Me

Times I have been electrocuted in 2021
As of 1/01/2021
AC: 4 DC: 1
Last year: 6

I will be gentle. Actually I won't need it for a while so I could bring it go Kutztown so you could do it Icon_smile

(07-21-2016, 07:08 PM)morzh Wrote:  I extracted the tuning cap. There is a gear that has rubber coated parts. What do I do with those? Are the rubber parts being sold by anyone?

Look here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/phorum/showth...?tid=14970

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ron,

This is exactly the answer I was looking for.

So, do these wheels have grooves for the O-rings ? I hope the tires were not simply vulcanized on the cylinders with no grooves.

And the big one around the dial hub - half the circumference has separated from the metal, so do I just glue it with rubber cement or....?

The small wheels do have grooves, or more correctly, rims which the O-rings will fit into. Sort of like putting solid rubber tires onto wheels. You'll have to do some scraping of the wheels to get out as much of the old rubber as you can before installing the new O-rings, unless you know of some sort of chemical that will remove rubber from metal.

As for the large rubber piece on the dial hub, I don't know...I suppose any glue that can make rubber adhere to metal will do...I haven't (yet) had to do that part.

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Some photos:

The speaker

Preliminary check shows the filter choke open....oh well. I am sure there's more to come.

Dunno how to explain this.....I tried the choke again just to make sure I am not ruining a good part. Still no dice. So I extracted the rivets, cut the wires really close to the base and started heating the shell in hope the choke would slide out. It did not. But then something told me to check it again....sure enough the continuity was there and the resistance was 89.7 ohm, exactly right.
So I soldered the wires back to the lugs, the choke is still fine.....

Breakage in the wires? Why? Those are multy-thread and are not subjected to mechanical stress of any sort.
Well.... I'll take it if it lasts.