Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

power supply to convert from 32 volt DC

Was a bit concerned about the transformer only being at 24v as opposed to the 32v the set is rated at. This should be OK?

Well how it works is that different types of rectifier setups the output voltage can be different than the ac volt supplied from the transformer depending on how much of the ac wave is rectifed. In this case with a full wave bridge rectifier it's rectifying both the negative and positive cycles of the ac so the output volt is equal to input X1.4 (24vX1.4= 33.6vdc)
Half wave rectifiers are input X.9 Voltage doublers are X2 full wave are X.5

Yes you will need to have the vibrator. What the vibrator (or chopper as we use to call there in the old dayz) does is it chops or pulses the 32vdc on to the primary of the power transformer. Transformers must have ac or pulsed dc on them to operate. If you apply dc across the winding of a transformer all it will do is get hot and if there is enough dc voltage if will burn out the winding. The vibrator doesn't step up the voltage it makes it look like ac so it can be stepped up by the power transformer.

When my pals were reading comic books
I was down in the basement in my dad's
workshop. Perusing his Sam's Photofoacts
Vol 1-50 admiring the old set and trying to
figure out what all those squiggly meant.
Circa 1966
Now I think I've got!

Terry

Messages In This Thread
RE: power supply to convert from 32 volt DC - by Radioroslyn - 08-05-2016, 08:01 PM