Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

power supply to convert from 32 volt DC

Question for Terry...

I did some major digging around in the basement and actually found a transformer that measures 120V / 24V from an old furnace. It's only a 40 or 50VAC, so I was a bit skeptical but wanted to at least see if it would light the rectifier tubes. Not wanting to damage the correct value components, I connected things together per your drawing. I only had one 10000 mfd / 100V capacitor, so I went with a 100 mfd / 200V cap just to try it. Well not only did the vibrator instantly come to life, the two rectifier tubes did as well. So, holding my breath, I inserted the other tubes and they too all lit. I even got a faint station or two, albeit with a lot of interference and motor boating on one end of the dial (I did have the antenna lead clipped on to my antenna wire downstairs). The radio and vibrator power supply have been totally recapped, so I don't believe the interference is caused from that.

So my question is, how did you determine the value of the electrolytic cap on the new power supply? I thought 10000 mfd may have been overkill, but perhaps the higher value is needed to quiet down the buzz and interference?

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: power supply to convert from 32 volt DC - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 08-15-2016, 09:11 PM