Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

power supply to convert from 32 volt DC

Well once again the simplest things...and dumbest mistakes...can cause the biggest headaches. That annoying buzz was driving me crazy on the radio, as I could not pinpoint what was causing it. Nothing helped. Even with the more beefy 175 VA transformer there still was no improvement. I found a couple of small caps I missed and replaced those. Still buzzing. So then I got to fiddling around with the ground wire... again. I had clipped it on to everything metal I could find, and it made no difference. Then it happened. I touched it to the metal plate surrounding the wall socket where I had the power supply plugged in. Eureka! The radio quieted down, and I could get a bunch of stations up and down the dial loud and clear. That was it...so now I know I need to use a 3 prong plug when I hard wire the cord into the power supply. I tried a 3 prong plug cord, just gator wiring it on to the two connections on the transformer and the prong wire onto the ground wire of the radio and it worked fine. Icon_thumbup

So I want to thank all of you who chimed in and offered advice, suggestions, and help. Especially Terry. Without his help and guidance, I never could have brought this old Coronado farm set back to life. What a kind and generous man...he even PM'ed me his phone number (and I was THIS close to giving him a call too if I hadn't had my AH-HA moment)

When I get it all back together and mounted in the cabinet I'll post some pics of it. That's my weekend project....I have off of work tomorrow so have an extra day to button it up. With temps in the 90's and a 70% dew point, the nice cool basement is a good place to be (as opposed to an already hot factory with no A/C) Icon_lolno

Greg V.
West Bend, WI
Member WARCI.org

Messages In This Thread
RE: power supply to convert from 32 volt DC - by NostalgiaRadioTime - 08-18-2016, 09:53 PM