Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Philco 116 versus 116B

Evening Gentlemen,

I recently purchased a model 116. I am able to locate a schematic for a 1116B in my riders and as well as Nostalgia air. However their seems to be some marked differences.

Where can I get my hands on a model 116 schematic?? I am willing to throw a few bucks at it if needed.

Thanks,

Dave

So, what did you buy? A 116B (tombstone), a 116X (floor model) or 116PX (radio-phonograph)?

As I recall, both 116B and 116X are in Rider's...but not the 116PX.

Give our own Chuck Schwark a try on the schematics, he's bound to have all of them; and at a reasonable price, too.

Oh, and the 116PX schematic is available here on my website, free:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/images/116px.jpg

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Morning Ron,

Being I am a 20's guy and not abreast of Philcos way of doing things, is it safe to say the suffix designates the style of cabinet? Yes, I have the large tombstone. After studying the schematic for the model 116b comparing it to my chassis I am finding several diffferences. It just may be production changes throughout its run? Correct me if I am wrong but it seems Philco was big on changes throughout a model production run.
The 116B schematic I have is certainly adequate to complete the restoration.

Thanks Ron

BTW--- Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours

Dave

Dave,

The 116B tombstone version had about a dozen production runs and changes in 1935-36.
Great performing set too. You've got a very good one there.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Chuck

Thanks Chuck,

I am looking forward to finishing this set. I was told this was Philcos top of the line table set. If it was a couple of inches taller it would be a console. It is by far the biggest table set I have owned. I fell into this set as well as my fully restored 38-690! Both for real cheap!! Being a 20's guy I wish I would fall into a couple of AK breadboards as easily!

Thanks Chuck!

Dave

Dave, I would purchase the schematic/alignment + TSBs from Chuck. I'm sure you're aware some of the silly things people do, or have done to sets in the past. Best to make sure. Plus, Chuck sends out a nice oversize schematic for those of us who are visually challenged Icon_mrgreen

I have mine playing right now on my desk. It's a big mama for sure! Plays like a champ. Plus the sound quality is excellent Icon_arrow

-Brian
If you collect or are interested in antique telephones, please visit Classic Rotary Phones
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php

Hi Dave,

It is very common for people to install capacitor C101 using the wrong polarity when restoring the 116B, as the schematic doesn't show the proper polarity. It should be installed with the positive to chassis ground. This topic was discussed in the following thread.

http://philcoradio.com/phorum/showthread.php?tid=1487

Good luck with that 116B. They are a great set. Now all I need is a 37-690 or a 38-690. Icon_smile

Ed

Dave

Philco changed the AVC circuit in later production of Model 116. That change is discussed here:
http://www.philcoradio.com/tech/116.htm

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Thanks Ed and Ron,

Yes Ed I had installed mine correctly. I always view the plate as the MOST negative part of the set. As far as your desire for a 38-690. I may be selling mine. Just not what I collect. Space is a commodity in my shop. I will see---

Dave

D**n the luck, Ed, you beat me to it. Icon_lol

I too would like for Santa to leave a 37-690 or 38-690 under my tree...

--
Ron Ramirez
Ferdinand IN

Quote:As far as your desire for a 38-690. I may be selling mine. Just not what I collect. Space is a commodity in my shop. I will see---

I might even have to drive down there and pick it up. Icon_smile

Quote:d**n the luck, Ed, you beat me to it.

I too would like for Santa to leave a 37-690 or 38-690 under my tree...

I think a lot of folks would! Icon_biggrin

Ed